The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2008, 01:05 AM   #51
Swampghost

You Yankees are truly something. Down here we work things out fairly (at least in my neck of the woods).

My shot, my animal, my responsibility wherever it falls and whatever kind of animal it is. If I shoot a skunk and it runs under a fence, THAT's my responsiblilty.

There may be more at work here than stated. And then there's this;

When I bought my property in NC I had it surveyed as opposed to acceptnig the time old tradition of 'from this tree to the creek to......' and ended up with an extra o.52 acres. The neighbor on one side was furious as his hog pen had crossed over onto my property line over decades. It was on the other side of of a wooded area and I told him that it didn't matter to me but he fumed for 2 yrs. until the drought. I had a deep well and told everybody around that as long as I had water, everybody had water. After that we were hunting buddies, he'd bring over a ham after the pig killings, he offered to bushhog some land that I had that was cleared earlier (it's all on it's way to recovery now).

It's all on how you deal with the situation. Provoking will get you nowhere. Heck, you both like to hunt. What's a better basis than that to be friends? Maybe you both like to fish too.