The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2000, 07:43 PM   #1
acp Mikey

We are going to buy electronic hearing protection in the near future and would like to know about different brands and types. What are to pros and cons of different ones, etc.?

------------------
acp Mikey
Old March 24, 2000, 03:22 PM   #2
scott510

I guess it depends on "in the ear" or conventional muff type. The only in ear I know of is"E.S.P." electronic shooters protection, they have a web site.
http://www.rmss.com/ESP.html

The muff type has several manufactures, I user the Peltor which is great for instruction since you can hear the student and they can hear you without risking exposure. The cutoff time with the Peltors seems to be quite adequate and you can adjust the gain for conversation or enhancement.
Old March 24, 2000, 05:27 PM   #3
Matt K

the best electronic muffs by far are Pro Ears Not only a superior product but outstanding customer service.

matt

------------------
Custom Glock Racing- Because Stock is Slow!
custom-glock.com
Old March 24, 2000, 06:22 PM   #4
wakal

I tried all the electronic muffs I could find, and went with the Peltors. Two sets of Tac-7 and one set of Tac-6...the 6's work best for rifle or shotgun work (and are a little lighter), but the dual volume controls are a bit tricky to get used to. The 7's are more comfortable, but bulkier.

Customer service? I broke a set of 7's (completely my fault), and sent them back to the factory to repair with a "please bill me, I broke 'em" letter. They sent a brand new pair...free.

I load my spare pair to anyone who askes at the local matches...electronic muffs are one of those things you never knew you HAD to have until you tried them.

Alex
Old March 24, 2000, 07:10 PM   #5
motorep

I'm with Matt on the ProEars. I got a set when they first came out, wish they had been 20 years earlier, maybe my ears wouldn't ring as much. You can hear everything that's going on around you, hits on steel, RO commands, etc., but they shut down the loud stuff. Great product.
Old March 24, 2000, 11:26 PM   #6
STEVE M

Also try Wolf Ears, they are great. Don't know about customer service, in the 5 years I have owned mine I've never needed it. I have heard good things about Peltor's and Pro-Ears also. Try a search under Pro-Ears or Wolf Ears. This has been discused before.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!
Old March 28, 2000, 01:54 AM   #7
Teppo

I bought a pair of Peltor Tac-6s. I can still aim my shotgun without banging the stock against them, but can't hear very high pitch noises with the amplifier on --- like flying ducks. The work fine for outdoor handgunning, but don't cut off enough at the indoor range. So I wear earplugs underneath with the volume cranked up all the way. Gunshot (including the crazy guy in the next lane shooting his high power rifle) is adequately muffled, but I can still hear range commands.

If long-gun hunting and cost were not an issue, I think I would go with Pro-ears.
Old March 28, 2000, 05:35 PM   #8
RECOIL

I am very pleased with my Peltor TAC 6 muffs. BOTACH has them for $115.00.
<http://www.botachtactical.com/peltor.html>

------------------
Old March 29, 2000, 08:14 AM   #9
muddyboots

What is the difference in tac 6 vs. tac7?
I know about the size, but the price diff. is very large.
Old March 30, 2000, 04:48 PM   #10
wakal

Tac-7: larger 'muff', more padding, single 9v battery, one on-off control.

Tac-6: smaller 'muff' (good for long guns), not as much padding, two AAA batteries per side (if memory serves, they last a while), and a control on each side.

I have both, and usually prefer the 6's. My wife can't stand the 6's, and refuses to wear them unless she is shooting her HBAR.

A previous poster mentioned botech had 6's at $115. That is a heck of a deal...I have been recommending Cheaper Than Dirt, at $125 or so (ten dollars more for the 7's).

Alex
Old March 30, 2000, 11:08 PM   #11
Jhp147

Has anyone used BOTH the Tac-7 AND the ProEars? They appear to be the top two from my reading here. Which is better between them, assuming you are using the top of the line Pro Ears, called the "Magnum" or something. I shoot indoors a lot and need maximum protection. I would rather not use plugs in combination, but will if I have to and can still hear range commands.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old March 31, 2000, 05:46 AM   #12
E__WOK

I have a set of Pro-Ears, the Stalker LE. They are awesome.