The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2002, 08:36 PM   #1
Shmackey

Tell me about good flashlights

OK, so I need a good flashlight in the bedroom that will always go on when I tell it to.

I know lots about folding knives and pool cues, but not a thing about flashlights, which apparently have a cult following all their own. The closest thing I've had to a good flashlight was a Maglight from Costco, which I appreciate mostly for its capacity to cave something in if necessary. So what's the story on the good stuff?
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old November 30, 2002, 09:05 PM   #2
Inspector Callahan

I purchased a SureFire Z2 Combatlight from Wilson Combat and have been a happy customer. Really opened my eyes to the world of tactical illumination. I plan to buy an Exectutive model with the pocket clip in the near future for easier pocket carry.

I would recommend a trip thru the pages of Candlepower Forums for further advice and info.

These tactical lights have come a long way in the past five years or so. Lots of interesting information over there. Cheers.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old November 30, 2002, 09:57 PM   #3
Rosco Benson

It really depends on what one intends to do with the flashlight. If one simply needs a reliable and bright flashlight for general illumination, it is hard to beat the MagLites. I prefer the 4 C-cell model.

If you need a fighting flashlight, there are some better choices. While the MagLite can be pressed into service for this, it is a bit large, the beam ususally has some dark spots, and the barrel-mounted switch can be tough to find in a hurry. For use with a pistol, the Surefire lights shine (bad pun, excellent lights). The tried and true 6P or the newer, lower-cost G2 are excellent choices. Their beams are bright and pure, they are small and work well when used with a pistol, and their tailcap-mounted momentary switch is easily found and manipulated. These lights use lithium batteries which, while a bit pricey, have extremely long shelf-life.

www.lagger-pro.com is an excellent, reliable, and knowledgeable source for Surefire lights.

Rosco
Old November 30, 2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Shmackey

The problem with the Maglite--and all other regular-battery lights--is that when you really need them, the batteries have gone dead.

So I guess I'm talking about rechargeable lights and/or lithium/other long-term solutions.
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old November 30, 2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Inspector Callahan

By the way....

SureFire has a price increase on the way (effective January first). Order now and save six percent.

Cheers.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old November 30, 2002, 11:06 PM   #6
stellarpod

I'd recommend Streamlight's Scorpion. It's relatively small, rubber armored, uses lithium batteries for dependable power, is extremely bright with a nice shadow-free pattern - and it's about HALF the price of a Surefire.

Works for me anyway.
Old November 30, 2002, 11:27 PM   #7
Shmackey

OK, for the lithium-powered lights out there, how expensive are replacement batteries and how easy are they to find? If the shelf life really is 10 years or so, maybe it's worth not messing with chargers.
Old December 1, 2002, 05:05 AM   #8
CWL

If it's a bedroom light, look into a rechargable Streamlight system.
Also known as Kell (sp?) lights.

They're the size of 4-cell Maglights & come with 110 & 220 chargers. Plug it in and it'll be there when you need it. Highway Patrol & other LEOs use them.

Push button operation, in case you need to use it 'tactically' and solid enough to strike with as a baton.
Old December 1, 2002, 08:04 PM   #9
TIR

Would definitely recommend that you look at the Streamlight Stinger XT HP, it is a rechargable flashlight that has 40,000 candle power. I looked into Sure fire but was turned off at spending that much on FLASHLIGHT, I both of mine from my local auto parts store for $110.00 out the door with the fast charger.
Old December 2, 2002, 01:11 AM   #10
eggroll

Go Streamlight Scorpion

Well you could go surefire 6p at about 65.00 each
or a scorpion for about 38. both operate with a tailcap switch. Lithium batts have a longer shelflife than regular alkalines.

the two advantages that a surefire have over the scorpion are slightly cleaner light dispersion, and a rotary switch lockout as to prevent accidental switch-ons. If these two are worth the extra 27.00 per unit, then go for the 6p, but if you're looking for a good bedroom light, go scorpion.

and a louisville slugger
Old December 3, 2002, 06:41 PM   #11
Pat Bateman

Surefires are well worth the cost, go to surefire.com and look through the selection to find one that fits your needs. I have an original 'Laser Products' Surefire 6P that goes with me everywhere. It's only on about its 4th set of batteries, in something like 7 or 8 years, but that's not turning it on and leaving it on, just flashing it to see where I'm going, which is kinda what it was designed for.
Old December 3, 2002, 07:04 PM   #12
para.2

"...how expensive are replacement batteries and how easy are they to find?"
About $10.00/pair at my local Wally World.
Old December 3, 2002, 08:14 PM   #13
eap

www.cheapbatteries.com and other online retailers have them for about $1.50ea. also the dreaded botach has toshibas cheap, just use your cc incase you have to dispute the charge.

for your gun light go surefire. for the truck and/or house light get a streamlight rechargable.

but, have you seen this??? www.tigerlight.net pepper spray in the end! how cool is that? www.tacticalwarehouse.com has them and dan is excellent to deal with.

good luck.
Old December 3, 2002, 08:32 PM   #14
AK103K

I have a bunch of Scorpions, great lights. You can get two for what one Surefire costs. The one in my pocket has to be close to 8-10 years old and is still going strong. I also will vouch for cheapbatteries.com, I just got 48 123a's for $83 total. I think they were $1.65ea. 48 or more. They are Sanyo's, but work fine.
Old December 3, 2002, 09:22 PM   #15
Shmackey

OK, anyone know who's got the best prices on Streamlights and Surefires? (I love free shipping. I think stores could get me to buy things if they charged $10 more for the product and spared me the $5 shipping. I don't know why.)
Old December 3, 2002, 11:05 PM   #16
tw1112

They have good service and good prices. I recently received my surefire z2 very quickly and without a hitch.

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com
Old December 4, 2002, 06:59 PM   #17
eap

i don't know why people push arizona gun runners, their prices are nothing special and shipping is high.
Old December 4, 2002, 07:10 PM   #18
AK103K

I just got two from Cabelas, They were $40ea with a set of batteries. They werent the cheapest, (by about $4) but I was there ordering at the time and I saved the shipping from someone else.
Old December 4, 2002, 10:40 PM   #19
tw1112

eap: I couldn't find a better price on the E2E or the z2. They had all the e2e's on sale for 61 something and the z2 for 64.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:22 AM   #20
beetlefang

I have a couple of 'sun light SL4 underwater kinetics.' One is in the drawer my comp sits on and one is in the kitchen. I did a quick net search while typing this and they are like in the 30-40 dollar price range. I have no idea how much I paid for them..it's been a while.

I bought these when were snorkelling in puerto rico. They're water proof and the batteries last a long time.

We have several mag lights of various sizes scattered around the house. My six year old seems to devour them though. The dive light has stood up to his abuse.

The dive lights seem to be good for camping and home use. Not sure if it's too big for your applications.

-Beetle
Old December 5, 2002, 07:03 AM   #21
eap

eap: I couldn't find a better price on the E2E or the z2. They had all the e2e's on sale for 61 something and the z2 for 64.

tw, was that for the older style E2 or the newer E2E "elite" series light in hard anodize?

www.strategosinternational.com use coupon code 186thousand and get %10 off and free shipping over $50. with this special they are the cheapest thing going right now. excellent customer service.

www.sableco.net are good folks but really busy right now with a new store. www.tacticalwarehouse.com are excellent folks to deal with as well.
Old December 5, 2002, 10:18 AM   #22
Erich

These guys have the E2E Hard Anodized on sale for $62, delivered - plus they give you extra batteries as part of their "December to Remember" sale.
http://www.LPSTactical.com/index.htm
I know because my wife is buying me one for a stocking-stuffer!
Old December 5, 2002, 04:33 PM   #23
eap

erick, that's not the e series. it's the cheaper one with plastic lens and non lockout tailcap.

lps has the e2e for $76.50 delivered.
Old December 5, 2002, 05:16 PM   #24
Erich

Now I'm confused . . .

. . . because here it says $67.50 . . .
http://www.LPSTactical.com/E2e.htm

But thanks for the heads-up on the the $62 one!
Old December 5, 2002, 05:38 PM   #25
rocko

Cheap 123 batteries can be "harvested" from the 223 batteries, which are simply two 123's in series in a side by side housing. Break the housing open, rip off the metal strip between them, and you are good to go. Apparently, the big battery companies price fix the 123's (surefire's "hurricane light" - a housing holding 12 123's and one low powered bulb - was originally essentially a way to sell the 123's cheaper than duracell would let them otherwise), but not on the 223's that can often be had cheaper than the 123's (and you get 2 123's per 223). In lots of 100, cheapbatteries.com has Duracells for $1.00 each. That's $0.50 per 123 folks - don't get much cheaper than that. It does take a minute or two to break them apart, and you may have to insulate them by wrapping electrical tape around them (some are already insulated), but they work just like the 123's at a fraction of the cost.

Rocko