The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 23, 2015, 05:37 PM   #1
MajTom

Gun Boxes...?

I have been keeping all the original boxes for all the guns that I have purchased... Needless to say I have -- a few -- What do you all think about the keeping of original boxes...? Does it help on resale? if I ever could part with one...
Old November 23, 2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Nathan

It does. All that original box and papers crap helps some. How much depends on the gun...
Old November 23, 2015, 06:45 PM   #3
SamNavy

If you have the space, keep EVERYTHING... throw nothing away ever. I've been in the military 15yrs... I keep all boxes with all factory foam inserts or whatever for everything. I'm not specifically talking about gun boxes... but EVERYTHING. All computer, stereo, kitchen stuff, tools, TV's, all of it. Makes packing/moving every 2-3 years a piece of cake.

As for gun boxes specifically... it might add a little snap to a prospective buyer to know the previous owner kept and transferred the original box. It makes it easy to ship if you ever sell out of state, etc... Keep'em.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Sevens

Haha, I guarantee someone will stroll in here and tell you they think it's nuts and they would not spend on single extra dollar on a used gun that has the box over one that doesn't. Those guys might be speaking the truth as it pertains to them, but it's still a load of crap across the board.

It is not at all possible to assess a particular dollar value or even percentage because it is far more important to some guns than to others. But please don't believe anyone who suggests it doesn't matter. On the whole, that is simply untrue.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:53 PM   #5
DaleA

Well, there's this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=python+box

and this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=python+box

to answer your question.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Remington74

They don't eat, [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] or drink water, so why not keep them?

As far as not selling any of the guns in the future, that's what I said about 50 years ago, You don't want to know the rest of the story.

Keep the box, it's an extra point on your side of the fence when it comes time to sell, either yourself or your heirs.
Old November 24, 2015, 11:56 AM   #7
g.willikers

I keep original boxes only until the warranty runs out, in case the item needs to be shipped somewhere.
Of course, for some gun manufacturers, that means lifetime.
Unfortunately, living in a high humidity part of the country also means they don't usually last very long.
And bugs love cardboard.
Painting cardboard with clear coat makes them last just about forever, though.
Old November 25, 2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Moonglum

The newer boxes for my Smith and Wessons are hard sided foam lined cases. Those are definitely worth keeping IMO
Old November 25, 2015, 01:03 PM   #9
gyvel

A bit of an extreme example, but when a collector friend of mine passed about 10 years ago, there was a cardboard carton full of old boxes of varying types. One was a pre-war Smith & Wesson revolver box which we sold on eBay for (sitting down?) $1175.00. That's eleven hundred and seventy five dollars.

While that was a bit of an exception, I routinely see boxes being sold for $20.00-30.00 on eBay for run-of-the-mill guns. That should answer your question. Less common types often get sold for upwards of a hundred, depending upon what they are.
SIFE
Old November 25, 2015, 05:31 PM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
Smith & Wesson revolver box which we sold on eBay for $1175.00.
Well maybe skins are the best part...
Old November 26, 2015, 08:06 AM   #11
mag1911

I've been following some Python auctions. Seems that like new with original grips are about $500 more than those with replaced grips; with original box and paperwork about $1000 more than that. Save your boxes on the high quality stuff at least.
Old November 26, 2015, 03:51 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

For the expense of putting your gun boxes into a larger box and putting them on a shelf somewhere, you're foolish to toss them.

Even those silly slipcovers that some DVDs and Blu Rays come in sell for a couple of bucks apiece on Ebay. People who collect want the box to go with the firearm, period, and are willing to pay handsomely for the desire.

Your firearm inventory should have a column for "Original Box", so your heirs don't toss 'em out while they sell your guns.
Old November 26, 2015, 04:44 PM   #13
gilfo

I keep all mine. Handguns, rifles and shot guns. Matter a fact got me into trouble with the wife when she saw all the boxes in the closet. Don't think she had a clue as to how many guns I had up until then.
Old November 26, 2015, 06:02 PM   #14
kilimanjaro

Yeah, telling her you were investing in empty boxes to sell to collectors would probably not be a good idea.
Old November 27, 2015, 04:08 AM   #15
Webleymkv

While I guess I may be border lining on "collector" ("accumulator" is probably a more accurate term), I still buy all my guns with the intention of shooting them. That being said, the original box and papers does slightly add to the value of a used gun to me because, as I see it, if the previous owner cared enough about the gun to keep the original box and papers then he/she probably cared enough to take good care of the gun. I would not refuse to buy a gun that didn't come with the original box nor would I pay a huge premium for one, but it does help sweeten the deal a bit.
Old November 29, 2015, 08:47 AM   #16
gyvel

Quote:
Save your boxes on the high quality stuff at least.
Yes, that's good advice; Saving your Raven, Jennings or Lorcin box probably isn't going to make any significant difference in the future.
SIFE
Old November 29, 2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Smoke & Recoil

Check on ebay to see what some boxes sell for. What we see as only
junk now will mean something to some one in the future as did the
old boxes of past time mean to us now. Yes, even the plastic boxes
of today...as long as the paper label is still affixed to the box.
Old December 7, 2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Rob62

I wish I had the storage space to keep all my original gun boxes. But I do not. After a while you have a closet full. That's just not practical for me.
Old December 7, 2015, 08:05 PM   #19
kilimanjaro

Ship them to me, I'll keep them for you. Post paid, on me.
Old December 7, 2015, 08:20 PM   #20
The Few The Proud

Boxes

I think that keeping boxes do add value to your trade in. I know that I will give someone trading a gun more if they have all the paperwork and box it came with. So keep all your boxes and paperwork.
Old December 8, 2015, 09:15 PM   #21
Ozzieman

How many times have you sold a gun where the buyer didn't ask if you had the original paperwork and box?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 8, 2015, 11:00 PM   #22
2ndsojourn

I never sold a gun.
Old December 10, 2015, 09:08 AM   #23
Skans

ALWAYS keep the original gun boxes. Yes, it helps resale. I wrap mine in plastic sheeting and duct tape and then toss them in the attic.
Old December 10, 2015, 04:02 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

Hard plastic cases? Yes.
Cardboard boxes? No.

I will pay a bit more for a gun with box in excellent condition. If the person cared that much for the box...
Not enough of a difference I am willing to let them pile up though.