The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Question about the A.R.M.S. #40

Alright, I hate to ask such stupid questions, but this really is kind of legitimate considering I didn't originally buy the sight and I have no box for it/instructions or what have you.

I have the A.R.M.S. #40 on my AR-15, and I noticed that the small aperature is cut off at the top, to make it flat, with a slot cut out, and a white outline, almost as if its supposed to be another notched sight, like the rear sight of most handguns. What the hell is this for? Is it just what I said it is? If so, under what circumstances should/would it be used opposed to the hole?

Heres what im talking about:
http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/..._sights_up.jpg

Its the sight on the left. I read in a book that its cut off flat like that so that the sight doesnt stick up over the top of the sight base and get in the way when its not in use. Seems to make sense, but if thats the case, why the notch and white outline?
Old November 28, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
PPGMD

According to what I read:
For longer ranges the leaf sight aperture is rotated to access the 500-600capability with the built in horizon line feature that helps lead distant targets and lets the shooter square the rifle to counter windage offsets, if the rifle is inadvertently tilted.
Old November 28, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
GLP Standard

So in other words...if Im not shooting long distances, I shouldnt worry about it?
Old November 28, 2007, 09:05 PM   #4
PPGMD

Basically unless you need to make windage adjustments and want to be sure that the rifle is perfectly level, then you don't need to worry about it.