The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2000, 07:34 PM   #1
ol blue

I just read on another thread that the rcbs piggyback attachment for the rockchucker gets generally bad reviews. I mostly load rifle cartridges but was considering one of these for my pistols. Anyone care to share your experiences with this tool? Thanks for your help.
Old April 28, 2000, 08:14 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

I use to collect progressive reloaders. At the height of that I suppose I had about three dozen. Some were very easy to use. Some were virtually impossible. This RCBS was somewhere in the middle. The thing that I liked least about it was that it could reseat spent primers. The primer pin would stab the old primer and then pull it back up and reseat it. Weird.

RCBS has a new progressive out, model 2000. Beautiful machine. Using their strip primers makes a real positive improvement. One of the best machine yet.

Skip the piggyback. Buy a 2000. It is even better than the corresponding Dillon.
Old April 28, 2000, 11:16 PM   #3
MADISON

RBCS Piggyback is junk.
Old April 29, 2000, 12:56 AM   #4
Bill Adair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenneth L. Walters:
RCBS has a new progressive out, model 2000. Beautiful machine. Using their strip primers makes a real positive improvement. One of the best machine yet.[/quote]

Ken,

I'm very much interested in the RCBS 2000, and got their catalog a few weeks back.

My only reservations might be the strip primers having to be snapped together every 25 rounds, and re-adjusting the press mounted powder measure for different loads.

Have you used this system, and do you have any comments to share on the speed and versatility compared to Dillon?

Much thanks in advance.

Bill

Old April 29, 2000, 11:22 AM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

Attaching the strip primers every 25 rounds is no bid deal - if you remember to do it. That takes a little getting use to BUT assuming you give the primer system proper attention it is BY FAR the best yet. If there is a problem with the primer system it is finding the primers already in strips.

About changing the powder measure setting. Couldn't be easier. To change the powder charge you just turn a knob. To adjust for a new case you just screw the powder measure in or out a bit. Oh you can do this wrong but even a little practice will make it easy to do.

Installing the powder measure does require a little attention. I don't remember what threw me the first time but whatever it was the problem came about because I didn't read the manual first.

One oddity about collecting progressives is that I tend to set them up for one cartridge and then load only that one. After all these things don't cost a fortune. Still, I have change calibers here a couple of times and found it to be no big deal.

Best progressive yet!
Old April 29, 2000, 11:47 AM   #6
Paul B.

Let's see. RCBS Piggyback.

Day one: Bought the thing.

Day two: Spent half the day trying to find a tool outlet to get a socket big enough to remove the nut on top of the Rockchucker. Dang thing cost a young fortune. Spent the rest of the day installing the Piggyback.

Day three: Took it off the Rockchucker. Returned to the dealer and got my money back.

Nuff said?
Paul B.
Old May 1, 2000, 02:50 AM   #7
Bill Adair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenneth L. Walters:
Attaching the strip primers every 25 rounds is no big deal....

Best progressive yet!
[/quote]

Ken,

Thanks for the info.

I've heard so much good and bad about the primer tube feed system, that I thought the strip feeder might be an improvement, or at least simpler to use?

Would it be feasable to package them in stip rolls of a thousand or more, and sell a simple roll feeder attachment you could bolt to the bench or press? Changing primer types would only require snipping the strip, or pulling it backwards out of the press, if that's possible.

Your right about finding primer strips being a problem. I've yet to see them on the shelf, though I'm told they cost no more than boxed primers.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Adair (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 03:30 PM   #8
ol blue

Thanks to all who replied. Guess I'll just save my money for a little while more untill I can look at a better set up. ol blue