The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 25, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Luger stock, what is this one?

Question on Lugers
A friend has a DWM 1907 Production Luger. This is from the SN which is in the mid 46XXX SN. It’s a 30 Mauser.
Incorrect, this is a 30 Luger not a Mauser
From what I have been able to find on line the gun was manufactured for commercial sales. Also from the few words written on the gun are in American. Like the extractor which when loaded and it acts as a load indicator the lettering is “Loaded” on the side.
The gun is in what I consider very good condition for a +100 year old gun. The barrel is very clean and the barrel assembly to receiver is very tight. All serial numbers match.
There is a slight pitting on the forward and rear portion of the grip but its minor. The smooth stocks have a very small chip on the rear lower and the grip safety spring is ether missing or broken. It moves but will not go out when the safety is off unless you pull it out.
The problem is with the holster/extendable stock. I have searched and can’t find anything like it. It’s not a Benke Thiemann retractable stock. The only markings on the metal of the stock is at the rear where it would fit against the shoulder and it says “Patents Pending”. The inner portion of the holster (darker color in the photos) is leather. The small button along the top is the switch for extending the stock.
My friend is in the process of selling the gun and I have been trying to find a price. From several sites the gun is worth +2000$ to the right person.
The following is some history on the 1907.
http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/999DWM08Com.htm

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old November 25, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Ozzieman

More photos

Old November 25, 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Ozzieman

more

Old November 25, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I did find this, but the date of the gun was incorrect and did not match the SN of the gun I have.
http://www.icollector.com/DWM-Model-...tock_i10495943
Old November 26, 2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Scorch

You have what is known as an American Eagle Luger, commercial production intended for importation into the USA. Someone will chime in soon with more precise info than I could give, but it is likely worth more than $5000, especially with the shoulder stock holster.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
mapsjanhere

Are you sure the caliber is 30 Mauser (7.63 Mauser) and not 30 Luger (7.65 Parabellum)?
Old November 26, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Ozzieman

Thanks Scorch, I agree.
The problem that I have is that I can’t find any information that the gun (1907 production) was manufactured with that stock.
I do know that the American Eagle Lugers had them on the 1900 build.

We are trying to find a good Luger seller and run the gun through them like Phoenix investment but without finding more information on the company and there reliability I am hesitant.
If anyone knows of a good clearing house for Lugers please send me a line.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Ozzieman

Well mapsjanhere you caught me on that one. Just shows you how little I know about Lugers.
I thought that the 30 Mauser (7.63 Mauser) and the 30 Luger (7.65 Parabellum) were the same.
If my slow mind works at all I remember that the 30 Mauser is a much higher pressure round than the 30 Luger.
Old November 26, 2011, 12:10 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Looks to be a 1906 American Eagle model

In .30 Luger, 4 3/4in (120mm) barrel. 4" (100mm) in 9mm.

Approximately 8,000 produced in .30 Luger. The serial number is in the right range.

Complete, all matching ser#s;
poor:$500
fair:$1,000
good:$1,800
VG:$2,500
EXC:$3,200

(note this is in 2006 dollars)

The stock is the Ideal Holster Stock. It is a 1920s era aftermarket stock that came with special grips to hold the stock in place. There is no mention of a value for the stock in my reference.

The information is from the Standard Catalog Luger (Davis 2006)

What your friends gun and stock would bring today, from a collector? I have no idea, but something over $2K would be my guess.
Old November 26, 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Winchester_73

The gun is not worth $5000. One of the big differences between the gun in the auction and the OPs gun is the dished toggles. The auction gun is earlier and worth more.

I could see $2000 for the gun but since the stock was an add on, perhaps selling separately would be best. Who knows. It looks to be in good condition, but you mention pitting which turns off some collectors.

I also know that these guns, say without the stock are not really sought after by luger guys. Most luger guys want military lugers. I'm no exception to that myself, but I only have 2 lugers presently.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:30 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those Ideal stocks came out a bit before the 1920's. The U.S. patent was granted in 1904 and Gortz and Sturgess say that all examples are marked PATENT PENDING, so the company didn't last long enough to change that legend. In brief, those stocks are very rare, but like others, I have no idea what the combination is worth. That stock latches into the metal plate that the wood grip pieces are screwed onto, between the plate and the grip of the pistol. It does not depend on, or use, the regular stock lug on the later Lugers.

BATFE has removed Luger pistols with original German stocks from the purview of the NFA and designated them curios and relics. Technically, that would not apply to that gun as the stock is neither original or German, but I have little doubt that a letter to BATFE would elicit a ruling that that combination is also a C&R.

Too bad the leather is in poor condition.

Jim
Old December 18, 2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Well to make a long story longer,,, I offered him 2K and was going to let it set in the safe for a couple of years. Its actually his dads, I talked to his dad and the sale is ok. Anyway after finding them all the data I could I offered them 2 K and he and his dad came back with 3.5K since they KNOW its worth 5.5K,, which I passed on.
I also found out from his father that the gun was purchased NEW by his grandfather!
So I found them a dealer near here that is more of a specialized gun seller and took the two of them there to put it on consignment.
After talking to the store owner they agreed on a price of 1.5K as a “starting price”. The seem to have forgotten that I offered them 2K just the week before.
All I can say to all of my friends at TFL,,, YOU CANT FIX STUPID!
Yes I was a little peeved.
Old December 18, 2011, 11:27 PM   #13
Jim Watson

So pay the dealer $1500 and come out $500 ahead already.
Old December 19, 2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Ozzieman

No, already purchased another gun for X-mass.
Told a friend about it, he's going to go and offer 1K$