The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 3, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Eastside

Macomb County Gun Board

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I'm hoping someone can honestly answer this question. I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am planning to get my cpl and I had an Operating While Impaired in 2002. Will I have any problems with the gun board? According to the requirements I'm beyond the 8 years of the O.W.I. Thanks to anyone and everyone that can help me out.
Old February 3, 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
jgcoastie

Eastside, Welcome to TFL!

I can think of 3 states off the top of my head that have a McComb County...

Every state has different firearm laws and regulations for permits. In order to help you, we need to know what state you're in.

EDIT: I looked through your profile and see you're hailing from Michigan. Lucky you, I've been studying up on MI firearms laws due to my pending transfer to that state. I'm less than enthused about some of the laws, but I've been spoiled in Alaska...

This link will take to you an Adobe PDF file which encompasses all known laws, statutes, and regulations regarding firearms laws in the state of Michigan. It also includes written opinions by the Attorney General as applicable to firearms. It is produced by the Michigan State Police by order of the MI Legislature.

Set a pot of coffee to brewing and get comfy, it's a long read. But it is necessary to fully understand what you need to know.

As I understand it, if there are any questions regarding your CPL application, the review board will contact you to appear before the board at a mutually agreed-upon time and date. I would have all legal documentation regarding the DWI on-hand and copies available for review by the board, just in case they have any questions.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; February 3, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old February 3, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Eastside

Thanks jgcoastie, I guess that would help if I let everyone know that I am in Macomb County, Michigan. I appreciate the effort you put in to find that out. Anyway, we here have to go in front of a gun board as part of the process. I believe Im within the 8 year guideline. It states that you cannot have a DUI, second offense in the 8 years prior to your application. Mine was not a second offense and its over 8 years. I'm just nervous that they will try and hold it against me anyway.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
kalevatom

Don't think you have anything to worry about. I sat thru a Macomb Co. gun board session of about fifty people. I was surprised by what past offenses some people had and still got their license. Just don't lie to them. By the time you get to the board hearing, they already know everything about you, and your license is already printed out. The whole process takes 90 days, from submission to hearing. Just a side note, the Michigan alcohol limit while armed is .02 . Good luck!
Old February 5, 2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Eastside

Thanks for your help and advise kalevatom. It sounds like I'll be fine. Michigan is a"shall issue" state which doesn't guarantee my CPL but I think as long as I'm within the guidelines Ill be fine.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Les Auten

Come on over to http://www.migunowners.org
Ask your question in the Legal section or the Concealed Carry section (one or the other not both)
Many members are from the metro area some are on or attend gun boards.Their are also some very pro gun lawyers there.
They can give you the best advice.

I go by thumbody over there
Old February 6, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
AH.74

Eastside- in a shall issue state if you do not have any dis-qualifiers the board has no leeway they can exercise- they must issue. If the law says 8 years and you can prove it's outside of that time, there should be no further questions asked about it.
Old February 9, 2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Eastside

Thanks Les Auten for the link. I think I'll throw the question out there just for more input. AH.74 I think you are correct. as long as I fit the requirements the Gun Board won't push the issue as much as they used to before Michigan laws have changed. Thank you to everyone that gave me some info and tips.