The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
6MMRemington

Short barrel Shotgun (14")

Short Barrel Shotgun (14”)
Is it still illegal to own a shot gun with a 14” barrel as a home defense gun, if the gun never leaves the confines of the house?
The way I figure it, if someone comes into my house uninvited, it’s my decision to use anything I want.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Don P

Against federal law. Shot gun barrel limit is 18". Most manufactures make the barrel length at 18 1/2".

Your analogy is like saying, can I keep a kilo of cocaine in my house if I only use it there?

Your shotgun is considered a sawed off
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #3
SamNavy

You're absolutely right, the government can screw off. I'm cutting down all my shotgun barrels today when I get home. I've had enough of their meddlin'. While I'm at it... can somebody tell me why can't I have sex with a 13yr old girl as long as it's "the way I figure it" in my own home?

DISCLAIMER: The above paragraph is intended to be sarcastic.

DISCLAIMER TO THE DISCLAIMER: The above paragraph may or may not be sarcastic depending on what state you live in.

In all seriousness, rifle and shotgun barrels are regulated by law. You can get a legal short-barreled shotgun just like you can for a short-barreled rifle, a suppressor or fully automatic rifle. If you want to cut your shotgun down to 14", find a Class-2 dealer and do it legally. So yes, your statement of "the way I figure it" is accurate, but it will cost you $200 and a hacksaw blade.

Or you could do it even easier and buy one new from a dealer (Class-2 or 3)... this is just the first one I found, not my recommendation, only listed for reference:
http://www.g-man-weaponry.com/Short_Barrel_Shotguns.htm

Oh yeah... don't forget a holster:

Last edited by SamNavy; May 29, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MMRemington
...The way I figure it, if someone comes into my house uninvited, it’s my decision to use anything I want.
Well, if you shoot the guy, you may get off on that because your use of lethal force was justified. But you'll still be going to federal prison (for 10 years, I believe) for the National Firearms Act violation.

That is, of course, unless you've gone through all the formalities, and paid the $200 tax, to register your short barrel shotgun under the NFA. And of course that is assuming that the short barrel shotgun doesn't violate state law.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 29, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Is it still illegal to own a shot gun with a 14” barrel...
Quote:
Against federal law.
Not trying to be a jerk, but a "short barrelled shotgun" (i.e., <18") has never been illegal under federal law . . . it simply must be registered. The actual registration process, however, is not exactly simple. It is not particularly complicated, just very long and requires payment of a $200 tax.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
a "short barrelled shotgun" (i.e., <18") has never been illegal under federal law . . . it simply must be registered.
Judging from the original post, the weapon in question is not registered, and therefore illegal. The post itself is on the border of endorsing illegal behavior, so I'm sticking a fork in this one.
Closed Thread