The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Colecgg

Trouble with scope, please help!

Recently, my scope has been acting weird, when i first put it on my .22 I would get dimed sized groups and 30+ yards, and now when i try to sight it in i get crappy groups (group sizes bigger than a half dollar), and a lot of off shots. I my groupings dont seem to be even close to as tight as they used to be, ive cleaned my gun, reattached all the mounts and the scope and have tried more than 3 times, and i know that its still accurate as when i first got it because i got one group that was perfect almost every bullet went in the same hole until i went to adjust it to shoot where I was aiming. Does anybody know if this can happen, its a cheap 30 dollar scope but i havent changed my way of sighting in my gun since i first got it, or the ammunition. Thanks for the help guys!
Old March 1, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
zoomie

Quote:
its a cheap 30 dollar scope
Might have something to do with it. Cheap scopes aren't known for their durability.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
bqronsmith98

i had the same problem. i had a ruger 10//22 and within 30 yds i could hit a quarter but i would back up to 50 yds and couldnt hit the paper. it was a cheap scope and a cheap set of rings ( the rings have a lot to do with it as well). i got a better scope and its spot on all the time at 100 yds.

Tags
savage , scope help , scope mounting , twenty two