The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 3, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Flatbush Harry

Range Report On My New Savage 116

I took my new Savage 116 FSHAK with AccuTrigger and AccuStock to the range for a sight in today. Due to the lack of primers available, I bought a box of Federal .30-06 Premium with 168gr Sierra MatchKing bullets for the session. I've got an order in for some CCI BR2 large rifle primers...I'll be developing loads using IMR 4064, H4895 and Alliant RE-15...all powders I'll be using to develop match loads for my M1s.

I had mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm on Leupy rings and bases. After bore sighting, I wanted to function test the rifle so I used a 50 yd target off and a Caldwell Lead Sled...the first three rounds punched holes I covered with a dime (my preferred adjustment tool for my 35 y/o Redfield 2-7x that is mounted on my Remmy 700 in .308 Win).

Moving out to 100 yds, I was getting 1" groups a bit high and left. A few clicks of windage and elevation and I was shooting about 1-1/2" high with 1" to 1-1/2" groups. I'm hopeful that tightens up with some further shooting. If not, I've got one of the most comfortable hunting rifles I can imagine. The FSHAK comes with a built-in muzzle brake...with it open the rifle kicks about like my AR15.

This is a terrific rifle...I recommend it unconditionally.

FH