The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 27, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
S_Constitutionist

Equipment for a defensive pistol class

Hello,

There is something that I have been wrestling with for quite some time. I am currently waiting to receive my CCW permit in the mail and I will be carrying my 9mm Browning Hi-Power in a Kholster Full Moon (IWB, similar to the CBST) with a Uncle Mikes Instructors belt (already all bought).

However, I plan on taking a 4 day defensive pistol course in which I will need to draw from concealed and re-holster numerous times. The course recommends an OWB holster with a cover garment, but said that my holster will work. I believe that I will be carrying IWB most of the time when I receive my CCW due to my manner of dress (polo shirts and jeans at work).

So, the question is: Should I get an OWB holster for the class or will the IWB be fast enough? If so, should I get one with a thumb-break or other active retention? It seems to me that OWB holsters are inherently less secure than IWB, but I dont have any intention to OC.

Any recommendations? I have been looking at the Bianchi Model 7 Shadow II (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...prodID=BI18664) and the Bianchi 83 carry-loc (http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-...and-23221.html) edit: Forgot the cheaper option (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0Hand,%20Black)

Thank you
Old December 27, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Yankee Doodle

I was always taught to "train like you fight, fight like you train." I would use the rig that I will be using on a daily basis.
Just my opinion.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
S_Constitutionist

True, that was my initial thought as well. However, I am worried that I will be at a significant disadvantage when compared with everyone else. Also, not everyone "passes" the class. I suppose I shouldnt care, though.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:57 PM   #4
BikerRN

Quote:
I was always taught to "train like you fight, fight like you train." I would use the rig that I will be using on a daily basis.
Just my opinion.
My opinion too.
FWIW I have completed training with nothing but my concealed carry gear, and that means I used IWB Holsters and IWB Mag Carriers.

Biker
Old December 27, 2010, 06:08 PM   #5
kraigwy

Best answer, call the guy giving the class and ask him what he wants you to bring.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 27, 2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Lokpyrite

Disadvantage? You going for a prize? You get a shiny star if you are the fastest draw? No, wear your IWB and forget the thumbreak too.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:46 PM   #7
KenpoTex

If they require a OWB, then I would get one that mimics your IWB rig as closely as possible. i.e. same carry location and level of retention (or lack thereof). If you're going to carry the gun day-to-day in an IWB with no thumb-break, then it wouldn't make much sense to take a class with a retention holster.
If they DON'T require an OWB and you can use the holster you intend to carry with, do so.

And, quit worrying about your speed relative to other students. Your job as a student is to keep an open mind and improve your skills...it's a class, not a competition.

Matt K.
Old December 27, 2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Iam2taz

Wear your IWB. Your only as good on Sunday as how you practiced the rest of the week! Slow & Smooth, Smooth & Accurate, Accurate IS Fast. Therefore, my friend, Slow is Fast. (Or something to this effect!)

Make the first one count. It might be the only one you get. (Just sayin....)

When I got my CCW in MO, the instructor said the same thing about an out side the waistband carry. I told him I had a Crossbreed Supertuck. He said that would work just fine.
Old December 27, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9
oldkim

So many thoughts...

So, the recommendations have been all over.

It's true you want to train the way you carry but take a step back and look at it this way.

You don't put a child in a 10 speed bike and expect them to master that in 1 day. You begin with a tricycle and then progress to training wheels, etc.

Have you ever trained to draw and fire from any holster?

You are paying for 4 days of training - go with what the instructors recommend. You need to pay attention and master the basics.

Unless you have access to practice drawing from a holster and shooting (at a local range) then when are you truly going to practice these skills they are going to teach you. You need to master them so you can "tailor" them to your individual needs.

I get your comment on staying up with your class. You don't want to be that guy that has to take longer to reholster your firearm and having problems the rest of the class isn't since they all got OWB holsters....

Also unless you are in a very small class/course - you don't want the negative problematic child attention. You want to keep the flow of the class for everyone's sake (yours, everyone else and the instructors).

So take it for what it's worth but go with the recommendations. You can always get another holster later.... but you're investing quite a bit in the 4 day class, ammo, travel expenses and accommodations, etc.

Maximize your time - learn so you can take the training and practice and develop them so you can master the basics.

Lastly, look at what your needs are and decide what is best for you. Everyone is different.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old December 28, 2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

I also carry a Browning Hi-Power and have taken several pistol classes. I always use the same IWB holster (Versa-Max 2) that I carry in everyday for class.

It is a tiny bit slower than some OWB holsters; but other than that it has never been a hindrance or interrupted my training. The only downside is that in higher round count courses (2,000-3,000 rounds over 3 days), the pistol gets really hot and you can feel it even through the thick leather.

I'd definitely give your instructor a call and discuss the matter with him.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:35 AM   #11
skifast

My guess is that the recommended OWB holster is do to the ability to reholster quickly. If you have a IWB Kydex holster, it is not an issue. If you have a leather or nylon IWB that makes reholstering slow, than it would be an issue.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:54 AM   #12
demigod

Unless your IWB is a quality, fast rig like Raven Concealment systems.... GET an OWB.

You can practice with your IWB on your own time after you take the class.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:08 PM   #13
xMINORxTHREATx

I would get something that mimics your IWB holster, but go with an OWB.

I would suggest a Fobus paddle holster. They can be had (around here) for $20 new, and they closely resemble the retention in a Full Moon.

Going through a defensive pistol course (at least the ones I've done or heard about) teach you techniques that can be applied to all pistols. It's not like they get you one and one and break down the draw and re-holster of your particular gun and holster. A lot of the specifics change when you change your outfit so going that in depth would be pointless.

I'm fairly positive that what you are going to learn has more to do with posturing, reacting, and decision-making in a defensive situation, not speed drawing wild west style.

But once you leave the class, practice with YOUR set up doing normal drills, and if they teach you new ones in the class, remember them, take notes, and repeat them later.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:40 AM   #14
insolentshrew

So what if you don't "pass" the class? You are still going to have your ccw, you are still going to learn a lot from the class. Go in there with what you are going to carry - IMO that is what I would want to train with and practice with. If you go in with a holster you are never going to wear day to day, then end up having some issue drawing from your other holster - the trainer isn't there to watch and give you tips. Like someone said, go in there to better yourself and not worry about the gold star of being the fastest to draw. Police and military aren't handed a firearm, train with it for however long, then when training is over get handed a new weapon and expect to use it proficiently. Train with what you are going to use.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:07 PM   #15
steve54

You should train the way you fight. If you intend to primarily use the IWB holster then go with that for the defensive shooting training