The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2006, 04:48 PM   #1
brasszz

.45 Colt case filler

Is it necessary to use a case filler to fill up the rest of the case when loading for .45 colt? I loaded some using 7 grains of unique and a 250 grain bullet. Would the powder burn more consistently if the case was full? Thanks for the help.
Old January 31, 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
BeMan

.45 colt loads

Brasszz,

Try other powders for more bulk. I like Blue Dot for my Rossi rifle .45 Colt and some say 2400 works well in filling the case best. I just get better results with the Blue Dot. This works well in both carbines and handguns, but I do prefer Accurate #9 for my Blackhawk .45 Colt. Unique works very well for some folks, but I have found that if you load with Unique to reduced power loads, it is inconsitent. Probably due to case volume. Hope this helps.

BeMan
Old January 31, 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
caz223

I used blue dot once.
It burned so dirty that I shot up maybe 25 shots, and my hands, arms, and face were covered with partially burned powder flakes.
Titegroup was touted to me by a friend, and the accuracy in my gun was AWFUL. At least the blue dot loads were accurate.
If you want to load light loads in .45 colt and shoot lead, try trail boss. I hear it's the thing to use. When the spring thaw hits around here, I'll get me a pound and try it out.
Trail boss was MADE for light loads, lead, and the oversized cartridges of yesteryear.
Old January 31, 2006, 05:58 PM   #4
steveno

do not use a filler. I use 7.5 grains of Unique without any problems
Old February 1, 2006, 12:58 AM   #5
Big Yac

has anyone tried Ramshots True Blue for their 45 Colt or 454 Casull applications? I hear its a good powder and that it also fills the case pretty well.
Old February 1, 2006, 11:49 AM   #6
JoeHatley

I've never used a filler. My standard .45 colt load is 7.2 grains Bullseye with a 200 grain cast SWC.

No problems with powder positioning at all.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old February 3, 2006, 10:30 PM   #7
redbeard55

45 Colt case filler

Been there, done that. Several years ago there were a bunch of magazine articles about using filler for 45 Colt loads. Purchased a bag of polyester pillow stuffing from the local sewing store. Didn't take much to fill up the case after the powder had been dropped. It made very little improvement in the accuracy of the load I was using at the time. Not enough to make me continue the practice on a regular basis. There was also a slightly funny smell when fired.

Using the filler turned out to be almost as worthless as using lead free primers and rubber bullets for target practice in my basement.
Old February 3, 2006, 11:28 PM   #8
HSMITH

You flat do not need a filler with Unique. With some other powders you do, but not with Unique.