The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2016, 10:29 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Savage center feed blind mag model 10 stock option?

I have a Savage center feed short action blind mag heavy barrel rifle. I was toying with the idea of replacing the factory plastic stock and possibly going with a detachable mag or hinged bottom metal. I woulf be looking for a aluminum bedding block, or pillar bed. So, what are the current stock options? Is it possible to do a blind mag conversion?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old September 29, 2016, 10:42 PM   #2
taylorce1

Cheapest option would be Boyd's laminate stock, next step up would be Bell & Carlson and HS Precision, most expensive would be Manners and McMillan.
Old September 30, 2016, 07:32 AM   #3
dvdcrr

OK so these are blind mag stocks, or do they offer a DBM kit?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old September 30, 2016, 08:22 AM   #4
taylorce1

Depends on how you order the stock, they can either be a blind magazine or inlet for factory bottom metal. If they don't offer anything but a blind mag option for the stock, you can still get bottom metal added to it. CDI Precision will inlet any stock for their bottom metal free with purchase. If you want a hinged floor plate you'll have to order the parts from Savage, or find used parts online.
Old September 30, 2016, 08:23 AM   #5
tobnpr

Quote:
or do they offer a DBM kit?
CDI. CDI.
Buy a stock, send it to Jeff- they'll inlet for FREE. Can't beat it with a stick. I have a commercial Mauser in here now that they did an outstanding job on with the inletting.

If you like the Choate tactical stock- they sell it, send in your barreled action and you'll get it back with the stock and DBM.

Read the FAQ here. Bottom bolt release, or top?

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/...ifle--faq.html
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 30, 2016, 10:14 PM   #6
dvdcrr

who makes just a good varmint style with straight comb, not tactical.
Old October 1, 2016, 12:09 AM   #7
taylorce1

Boyd's Pro Varmint.

Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole.

Stockade Gunstocks.

MPI Gunstocks.

Stocky's offerings (B&C, HS Precision, & GRS)

McMillan Varmint.

McMillan A3 Sporter.

McMillan Gamescout.

Houge Gunstocks.

Manners Composite Stocks.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 1, 2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old October 1, 2016, 07:09 PM   #8
dvdcrr

Thanks for all the links. I like the looks of the HS Varmint. Kind of middle of the road on price too.
Old October 1, 2016, 08:28 PM   #9
ocharry

i have my savage 110 in a choate ultra,,or super varmint,,something like that,,,sister to the tactical version,,aluminum beaded,,,and i love it,,solid stock,,fit is good,,makes for a heavy gun but it is great on a rest,,,nice and solid

my .02

ocharry