The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2001, 09:42 PM   #1
Popsicle

remington 870/purbaugh conversion

My grandpa has a few older 870's for sale( You know, when remington still made good guns ). The one that really caught my eye was a custom gun...a .410 built on a hybrid 20/12 ga. gun. The barrel is a 20 gauge that has been tubed to a .410. The frame is a 12 ga. wingmaster variety that has been modified to shoot the .410 shells ( magazine tube mods, ejector mods, etc. ).He told me the gun was built for a friend of his by a gunsmith with the last name of Purbaugh. He told me the gunsmith made tubes for over/unders years ago. I'm curious of any info you guys may have on this gun. I cycled dud .410 shells through the action and I couldn't believe it, but the darned thing fed from the magazine and ejected the empties forcefully everytime! I am actually interested in buying this gun, but would like to know the worth of this gun and if anybody knows anything about this gun. thanks everyone!

Pat Brophy
Old August 29, 2001, 11:20 PM   #2
UK2TX

Hello Popsicle,

Purbaugh converted guns get mentioned in the following Skeet Shooting Review, March 1996 link:

http://www.shooters.com/ssr36.html

and in the interview with Bill Burke on the National Skeet Shooting Association website

http://www.nssa-nsca.com/ssr/0200/one.htm

Regards,

UK2TX
Old August 30, 2001, 06:06 AM   #3
Dan Morris

I don't know about the 870, but I have shot hundreds of skeet rounds with a Browning Superposes Purbaugh set.....absolutely loved them!
Dan