The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Datguy781

Sig 239 or just me

I just picked up a very lightly used P239 for $500 with out night sights and Im pleased with it thus far. However I noticed something different from other semi's I have. The hammer doesnt rest on the firing pin after the trigger has been pulled. It could be that it strikes and then rest at a half cocked position./? I coud be overeacting but just want to be sure this is normal.
Old March 8, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
joe magarack

p-239

normal
Old March 8, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Datguy781

Ok thanks.
Old March 8, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Yup this is how SIGs, HKs, and FNs work. In fact the first time I got s gun that didn't do that I was actually confused.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 8, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
AK103K

The hammers on all my SIG's stayed "on" the firing pin after the trigger was pulled on an empty chamber. If they were decocked, they didnt.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
The hammers on all my SIG's stayed "on" the firing pin after the trigger was pulled on an empty chamber. If they were decocked, they didnt.
Then either they were broken, you're mistaken, or they were a model I'm unfamiliar with. I am sitting here pulling the trigger on my P229 and the hammer goes back to half cock every time the trigger is pulled or decocked. Same is true of my P226, P228, and my P220.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
AK103K

I had 17 of them, most of the P series guns, including P220's, P226's, P229's, and the P239, and they all stayed down when the trigger was pulled on an empty chamber. I just checked the one I got left, a P230, and it still stays down too.

Maybe its your thats broke.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:37 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Maybe its your thats broke.
No, not really. Maybe our definitions of down differ. By down I mean sits flush against the firing pin. Seeing as I am the one with the classic SIGs still, and you aren't, I will keep believing what is happening in my hands.

My friends work at the SIG factory, I know what I'm talking about

The P230 is a Walther PPK facsimile. I wouldn't be surprised if it is slightly different.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I don't believe theirs are broken, but it may be a matter of semantics. The hammer isn't at what I would normally call "half cock" position, but it definitely should be off the back of the firing pin. You should be able to view the domed rear of the firing pin after pulling the trigger on an empty chamber and releasing it.

Speaking only about the P239, if you hold the trigger back after pulling it, the hammer will be all the way against the frame and the rear of the firing pit will be flush with the hammer recess in the frame. If your hammer stays in that position after letting the trigger go, then it is, indeed broken and a little dangerous. Not very dangerous since the firing pin is of the inertia variety and even with the hammer pushing it in, the front of the FP still won't be protruding from the frame.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
TunnelRat

^ Thank you Mal . As I said, maybe our definitions differ. And you're right Mal, it isn't true half-cock.

And I was wrong about FN and HK. Both of those guns have their hammers rest against the firing pins if you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. However they do rest away from the firing pin when decocked.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:49 PM   #11
AK103K

I mean resting on the firing pin, not in the decocked position. When its on the pin, you can pull it back to the decock position with your thumb.

Heres some pics showing what mean....

My P226 with the hammer down....

My P245....

P220 carry at decock...

My P230's, P245, and P239, which has its hammer at decock.....

Old March 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I know it looks in the pics that it's "down", but it isn't. There is still a gap between the firing pin and the hammer in that position. It isn't at half cock, I misspoke before, but it isn't completely flush against the firing pin. There is a spring that pushes it back from resting flush against the firing pin. My SIGs look the same way. Re-read Mal's post.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
AK103K

I just looked at my P230 again, and I stand corrected, it does rest just a hair off the firing pin. The hammer isnt secured in this position though, and moves freely into the pin with little effort. Its not "safe" as it would be on the decock notch.

The hammer still doesnt rebound into the decock notch though when the trigger is pulled. It has to be manually pulled to it.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:17 PM   #14
TunnelRat

On the P229 in my hands right now, 2005 vintage, if I pull the trigger on an empty chamber, and keep holding the trigger back, then yes I can push it into the firing pin. However it will springboard back off the firing pin unless I keep pushing. Also, as soon as I release the trigger it is "stuck" in that position, which is the same as the decock position, and no amount of pushing will make it contact the firing pin. I'm not making this stuff up. If you don't believe me, well I will take a lesson from your signature and say I honestly don't care . Ignorance is bliss.

Edit: I just checked my mid 90s P220 and what I described above is also true.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 8, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:37 PM   #15
AK103K

All I have left is my P230, and it doesnt rebound back onto the decock position and I have to pull it back to get it there. As fas as I can remember, all my other SIG's worked the same way. Maybe some guns are different. Maybe the snap caps I keep/kept in them deadened the blow, and stopped the hammer from rebounding. Who knows.

I really dont care either, as I dont have the others anymore, so the point is really moot, but I cant imagine "all" my guns were "broke".
Old March 8, 2012, 08:39 PM   #16
David the Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
On the P229 in my hands right now, 2005 vintage, if I pull the trigger on an empty chamber, and keep holding the trigger back, then yes I can push it into the firing pin. However it will springboard back off the firing pin unless I keep pushing. Also, as soon as I release the trigger it is "stuck" in that position, which is the same as the decock position, and no amount of pushing will make it contact the firing pin. I'm not making this stuff up. If you don't believe me, well I will take a lesson from your signature and say I honestly don't care . Ignorance is bliss.

Edit: I just checked my mid 90s P220 and what I described above is also true.
All my SIG's do the same.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
really dont care either, as I dont have the others anymore, so the point is really moot, but I cant imagine "all" my guns were "broke".
I don't think they were broke at all. I think your memory is . But I guess me and the others posting have guns that are all broken, or it's a giant conspiracy.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #18
AK103K

Quote:
I think your memory is ....... or it's a giant conspiracy.
Maybe, but my P230 must be in on it.

Then again, maybe its all a Glock assimilation thing. The Glocks filling the spaces in the safe the SIG's once filled are trying to wipe it out. Come to think of it, another 26 would fit there nicely. Who needs hammers to worry about?
Old March 8, 2012, 09:20 PM   #19
chris in va

It's called a rebounding hammer. My older 220 had it.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:27 PM   #20
FALshootist

Only on the internet are people always crying that their gun may be broken. Nobody's gun is broken. The early SIGs sat on half cock when the decocking lever was pressed. It was possible to pull the trigger while thumbing the hammer down and it would rest on the firing pin.

In the mid 90's SIG went to a rebounding hammer system and the hammer never rests on the firing pin.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Viper99

Had the same question when I first got my P239. It is normal.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:52 PM   #22
mrvco

My P226 does the same of course, but it did freak me out a bit after I bought it. I thought I had broken something for a while one evening while dry firing it.