The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 21, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
doctorj77

USPS - Accidently Shipped Long Gun out of state (Need Advice?)

I don't know if this belongs in General or Law. So Admins, forgive me if incorrect and move if applicable.

So from another forum, I have made a purchase from a member. He was mailing me two long guns in the mail. In Michigan that is legal, no FFL, as long as it stays within state lines, and long guns only. Done it before. Had no problems in the past doing it.

But, something has happened here. I requested the seller to supply me with a Tracking #. Which he did two days ago.. According to the USPS, it has a expected delivery of 9/22, tomorrow. I went out and checked the status of it today, and find out it arrived at a sorting facility in PA. *** ?

So I contacted the seller today and he verified he used my address that I supplied, in MI. So only thing I can think of is this possibly is a redirect because of sorting facility issues.

Anyway, my question is, whats the legal ramifications here? Both Seller and Buyer have obeyed ATF rules and State laws on this transaction. But if for some reason the usps redirects it out of state, for whatever reason, who's liable? And for what? I don't imagine me as a buyer would be in trouble. But the seller, well, he's worried he might get a knock on the door from the ATF now.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow on the supposed delivery date. I just never expected this. Does anyone have any suggestions why the package may have been redirected? I know one plausible answer is the Seller simply sent to the wrong address. But I've dealt with him before. And as result, I have confidence he's not that stupid and did send to right one.

Edit: Just found out it arrived back into Michigan now. But it clearly says it went from MI, to PA, and now back to MI. Guess I can't expect too much from a Government ran organization.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Doyle

Fed rules govern the "Transfer" of ownership with the state and intrastate. It doesn't care what route the carrier took to get them there. You are OK.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Hardcase

Doyle's succinct answer is spot on - I just figured I'd add my voice for emphasis.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
C0untZer0

Don't worry too much

If the feds do knock on your door you have 75% chance that they're there inquiring abut tobacco, alcohol and / or explosives.
Old September 21, 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
Edit: Just found out it arrived back into Michigan now. But it clearly says it went from MI, to PA, and now back to MI. Guess I can't expect too much from a Government ran organization.
And Fedex runs every package through Memphis -so what? If their logistics gurus have done their studies showing that is the best way to handle it, so be it - point is, YOU are not on the hook because of that.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:53 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
doctorj77 ....But, something has happened here. I requested the seller to supply me with Tracking #. Which he did two days ago.. According to the USPS, it has a expected delivery of 9/22, tomorrow. I went out and checked the status of it today, and find out it arrived at a sorting facility in PA. *** ?
......Edit: Just found out it arrived back into Michigan now. But it clearly says it went from MI, to PA, and now back to MI. Guess I can't expect too much from a Government ran organization. .......
USPS has contracts with both FedEx and UPS.
Odds are that either UPS or FedEx has a sorting facility in PA.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 21, 2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Mr. James

You're good to go. Neither you nor the FFL shipped it to any of those third states. USPS (or FedEx or UPS or whoever) shipped it there. The transfer at this point is between one FFL and another. What route it took to get there is immaterial.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old September 22, 2011, 03:11 AM   #8
natman

The important point is that both buyer and seller are residents of the same state.

How the shipper routes the package is immaterial.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Dr. Strangelove

Standard shipping procedure. I used to work for a major freight line in Florida, on the west coast. Even in-state, everything went through the hub in Atlanta, unless it was a full truck.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:00 AM   #10
doctorj77

Thank you every for their input. Its been about 7-8yrs since I mailed, or received a long gun thru the mail. So this just raised my attention was all. But its good advice from all.

Thank you