The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Red Star

mossberg 500 vs remington 870... go!

thinking of getting an entry level, barebones, super reliable shotty.

trying to decide between the 870 and the 500.

any ideas/reccomendations/stories?
Old May 6, 2011, 02:25 PM   #2
jmr40

I like the 870 better, but I can save you some time. This thread is going to be about 50/50 from responders and probably get locked.
Old May 6, 2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Red Star

hmmm

i hope it doesnt get locked... i want to see what people think of them
Old May 6, 2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

I have both, and like them both just fine. The controls are better placed on the Mossberg, IMO (safety on top of the receiver, slide release easier to reach without moving your hand); but if you think you might want to get a stock with a pistol grip at some point, the trigger-guard safety on the 870 works better with that.... Not that there's much reason to get a stock with a pistol grip, and there are all sorts of reasons not to use a pistol-grip-only stock... The slide on the Mossberg has a bit more play in it and feels wobbly compared to that on the 870, but it doesn't affect function, so that's a minor quibble.

It can be nice to have more than one barrel -- one for HD and others for hunting, for instance, and Mossberg barrels are much cheaper (be aware that you can get combo packages that include two such barrels, which is the least expensive way to do this if you don't mind spending a bit more money up front).

In terms of overall quality and reliability, there's not much to choose between them. Pretty much a Ford-or-Chevy thing... handle them both, or better yet shoot them both, and get the one you like.

(And if you a search, you'll find, oh, about a zillion threads on this topic... )
Old May 6, 2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Bubba in c.a.

do a search--this has been beat to death.
I picked Mossberg because I shoot left-handed and the loading mechanism is less prone to jamming. A zillion others are happy with 870s, and each gun has over 10,000,000 made.
Old May 6, 2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Deerhunter

If it gets locked just do a search. This has been beat to death and as jmr40 said it will be about 50/50.

I own one of each. My parents bought be a 500 when I was 13 or 14 and I beat it up pretty good. I got myself a 870 Express Mag when I was 21 and put the 500 away. My 500 was a wood stock, the 870 is synthetic. I prefer the synthetic over the wood. When I took the 500 apart to really clean it (didn't know what I do now back then) it was harder to get back together than the 870 and most of the trigger group is plastic.

My buddy just got an 870 Express Super Mag and I really like it. I was out looking with him and we looked at both. Bass Pro had both in a wood stock and both companies have gone cheap on the wood. I would seriously consider synthetic on what ever you decide.

Trying to hit all the arguments from past posts, Older vs Newer is a big one. some people say that the newer 500s and 870 have feed problems, if you clean it real good and take care of it you shouldn't have any issues.

So in closing I would go with the 870 and also do a search cause there are several threads out there that already cover the two and also what slugs are the best.
Old May 6, 2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Search feature is your friend....

Thread locked......
Closed Thread