The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2011, 11:11 AM   #1
cajun47

best home defense SEMI AUTO shotgun?

and how much would it set me back? with a short barrel.
Old February 26, 2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Define best.

Benelli M2 tactical is a pretty reliable auto loader. They run around a grand the last time I looked.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/b...2_tactical.php
Old February 26, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Hig789

Quote:
Define best.

Benelli M2 tactical is a pretty reliable auto loader. They run around a grand the last time I looked.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/b...2_tactical.php
That about as close to the "best" you are going to get unless you go with a full custom built gun. I don't own an m2 but I have hunted with a Super Black Eagle for the past 15 years and it has never jammed or FTF. Very very reliable gun, anyone who says they aren't probably hasn't owned one.
Old February 26, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4
jmortimer

That or the FN SLP - for me I'll take the FN SLP but the Benelli is fantastic as well. If you want the best on a budget the mossberg 930 SPX is just as reliable as the FN SLP or the Benelli M2.
Old February 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Hig789

Or you could go with a Benelli M3. Best of both worlds, Pump and Auto. I would love to have one of these. I'm not even sure they make them anymore though.
Old February 26, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

FWIW, I had a M2 tactical for a couple years. It would run on low brass 7 1/2 shot and full power 00 buck just the same. It never missed a lick.

Of all the guns that I have traded or sold, that M2 and the 03-A3 are the only ones I regret giving up.
Old February 26, 2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Harry Callahan

Just picked up one of these babies from Gunbroker. Got it for $795.00 after FFL/shipping. Cabela's wanted $879.00 +tax. I think I did alright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1100tac4-prod.jpg (30.5 KB, 315 views)
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old February 26, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
GONIF

FLAME AWAY ,BUT haveing extensive experiance with and owning just about all of them at one time or another .I would suggest that you left out the uglyest,crudest,most poorly finished but one of the best Semi auto shotgun for SD currently available to the public . The Saiga 12 . A properly converted Saiga 12 will function 100% and deliver a devestateing volume of shot to the target with blazeing speed and accuracy .
Old February 26, 2011, 01:19 PM   #9
jmortimer

The Saiga is a second tier gun - the O/P said they wanted the best. At least you admit that the gun needs to be "fixed" to run 100% and you should point out the need add the last round bolt "hold-open" - at that point why not just get the best for less $$$. Otherwise your "devestating" firepower will be stalled while you swap out a magazine and pull back on your bolt. Tube fed magazines can be stuffed as you go and specific ammunition can be chambered but the Saiga is an option just not the answer to the question as to what is the "best"

Last edited by jmortimer; February 26, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old February 26, 2011, 02:18 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

The Saiga 12 has some merits and demerits and bear in mind the OP does not want to know about pumps.

In Cali mag capacity is limited to 10 and I believe some other semi's can accept nearly 10 including one in the chamber and a "ghost load" in a Mossberg.

Because it is an import, there are rules regarding the need to change parts out for US manfactured parts (convert it) if you don't want it seized as an Assault Weapon. I believe Z detachable magazine makes it an AW unless you spend money on convertint it to a US Manfactured semi.

Since it cannot have a detachable magazine, you need a mag lock. How long does it take to swap magzines with what is called a bullet button.

The inability to replentish the tube as it is depleted is a demerit.

I apoologise if I confused the application of AW law to the Saiga 12, but it is confusing and that confusion itself is a reason to stay away form the S12.

In tight quarters I wonder about thinkgs like a big clip catching on things.

If you ever are charged in relation to shooting an intruder, the jury isn't going to like the wicked looks of a Saiga 12.

Lastly. We are talking about home defense; not Somalia. How much weight does the ability to swap out magazines merit?
Old February 26, 2011, 03:49 PM   #11
GONIF

The mods were done to get a pistol grip and be 922 leagal . I knew I would get flamed . I did not say the best ,I said one of the best . If anyone cares ,the Saiga is showing up at a lot of 3 gun match's and doing very well . When broken in and fed good ammo they run like a champ . Fedral 2/3 game loads (Walmart $4.50 abox) worked perfectly with the gas selector set to the proper setting from day one with No mods. This may be a moot point as the prices now are out of sight ,and are hard to find . I got my 2 at $350.00 each over a year ago . The mag s have not been a problem for me . I say shoot one ,than comment on the Saiga. For bird hunting I use my Beretta 681,but I would have no problem useing my Saiga 12 or my old Benelli M2 for SD at short range . I trust them equally .
Old February 26, 2011, 04:07 PM   #12
GONIF

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60714
Old February 26, 2011, 04:13 PM   #13
pabuckslayer08

My choice, simple and works flawlessly. Fairly pricey but they are worth it and have no issues and are built on a legendary frame
http://remington.com/products/firear...100-tac-4.aspx
Old February 27, 2011, 01:43 PM   #14
jfruser

Used Rem 1100 12ga, wooden stock.

Clean it form top to bottom, replace the O-ring on GP. Lube up with lube of choice. Cut the stock to fit. Cut the bbl to 18" or buy one of the factory 18" bbls. You're done, if you want to be a fast, minimalist, light-recoiling gun. If'n you want, add whatever accessories you think prudent.