The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Pondering

I currently have a Winchester 1300 shotgun. Hardwood furniture, 4+1 capacity (with 2.75" or 3") shells, 22" rifle sighted, smoothbore barrel. I like it. I like the action. The roatary bolt makes the action as smooth as butter, right out of the box. I like the smooth barrel with sights; IMHO, it's the most versatile configuration I could have. I can put an 18.5" barrel on at will, not having to worry about a receiver mounted sight getting in the way. I can fire shot without the rifling, and the sights allow accuracy with slugs. I got it new from Wal-Mart for $199, and it is currently my only firearm. I've got a +4 mag extension and a barrel clamp on the way from Cheaper than Dirt as I type.

I do have a couple beefs with it.

The receiver is made of aluminum. This just doesn't feel right to me in a shotgun. I think if it were steel it'd be heavier, which would also help recoil.

I don't like the safety, either. It's kinda hard to reach, being at the front of the trigger loop.

I was originally going to get an M870, but the cheapest new 870 I found (in the same configuration, smooth sighted barrel) was $279 from Dunham's Sporting Goods. Plus, with an 870, I'd have to drill out the mag dimples AND exchange the trigger group to get it "how I want it". This would have some advantages in the end, though:

There are a lot more accessories for the 870 than the Win1300. I like accessories, and trying different configurations. It's half the fun.

Barrels are a lot cheaper for the M870.

The steel receiver.

So, assuming I had the bucks (I don't), I have to ponder, would I buy an 870 and do all the modifying necessary to satisfy me, or would I stick with my Win1300? I'll say one thing for my Winchester, it has the smoothest action of any new shotgun I've ever handled...

On the other hand, if I'm going to drop bucks for a new pumpshotgun, I may as well get a Benelli Nova, or hell, a Neostead, if they ever get imported and prove to be a decent weapon. Hmm.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; September 3, 2001 at 11:00 PM.
Old September 4, 2001, 01:02 AM   #2
DML

Let me point out that every shotgun you mentioned except the 870 has an aluminum receiver.

I know the old horse will get kicked around again, but why don't you look for a slightly used older express or Police magnum. If you are going to "drop a few bucks" on a new shotgun, you could do a lot worse then the 870.
Old September 4, 2001, 03:55 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

NC, in your shoes I'd just live with the Winchester.

Much as I like 870s, there's little wrong with the 1300. Adding the mag extension will ease the kick, and so will practice.

IMO, right now you'd be better off staying with the 1300 and using your extra(Hah!) cash for ammo.

Later, after school's done and you've hung out your shingle, buy all the 870s and addons anyone can desire.
Old September 4, 2001, 04:46 AM   #4
Nightcrawler

aiming high

I've been pondering this for awhile. The Winchester will be my pump shotgun. If I buy a new shotgun, it'll be a semiauto. Probably a Benelli.

Hell, I'd better start saving how.