The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #51
RMcL

Here is another example of just how effective the new technology of buckshot has become:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu148_5.htm

This report shows 14" to 16" patterns at 45 yards with Federal's latest Flite Control #1B load with TruLock extended Modified and X-Full chokes respectively.

Last edited by RMcL; November 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:55 PM   #52
RMcL

Here is an example of how effective even 20 gauge buckshot can be:

Go over to YouTube and enter the following:

BONF: Deer Hunt in North Florida 8 Point Buck .

This is an interesting video of a Florida buck taken from a tree stand with 20 gauge Federal #2B (18 pellet .27 caliber) . At 3.26 on the video, the pellet strike can be clearly seen. This video also shows the type of close cover that is normal for the coastal South.

Last edited by RMcL; November 27, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:12 PM   #53
RMcL

Hornady now advertises this tight patterning new Versatite buckshot round as suitable for targets as small as coyotes at 50 yards.

http://www.hornady.com/store/12-GA-H...ote-00-Buck-3/

http://www.hornady.com/store/Heavy-Magnum-Coyote-New

Last edited by RMcL; November 29, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:30 PM   #54
RMcL

Here is another buckshot hunting video, this one from North Carolina. This buck was taken with 3" Federal Flite-Control 00B from a full choke Beretta. The wad was recovered next to the deer. This buck went down with all four hooves in the air. The shot takes place just after frame 3.54 and the FliteControl wad is recovered at 6.42:

Go to YouTube and paste the title:

My 3rd deer (self filmed) small 6 point .

This raises the question: Why are there virtually no "hunting channel" shows with shotguns and buckshot used as the "method of take?"

Last edited by RMcL; November 30, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:19 PM   #55
RMcL

Direct links to previously mentioned video:

My 3rd deer (self filmed) small 6 point

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhfZtytEYO8

BONF: Deer Hunt in North Florida 8 Point Buck
Taken with #2B from a 20 gauge

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvDMN4PlcZA

Here is another video, this time in Virginia, where a doe and a buck are taken from the same blind in just a few minutes. A Remington Express shotgun was used with 3" Remington 00B. It is hard to judge the distance, but both deer dropped in their tracks. The hunter obviously waited until the deer were within range. See this at 2:00 and 4:27 in the video:

Deer Hunting - Doe and 8 point Buck Kill...less than five minutes apart.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY1J1t-SoXk

Last edited by RMcL; December 6, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:01 PM   #56
RMcL

"Dropped in his tracks" with buckshot. The entire pattern impact can be seen at the 2.48 and 6.60 marks. This New Jersey hunt shows hunting over bait which is legal in that state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmNOBAwOTn8

Last edited by RMcL; December 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:06 AM   #57
RMcL

Has this discussion changed your views on buckshot?
Old December 11, 2012, 12:34 PM   #58
RMcL

Why are there virtually no "hunting channel" deer hunting shows with shotguns and buckshot used as the method of take?
Old December 13, 2012, 09:45 AM   #59
RMcL

The times they are a changin'

It was not that long ago that a post on buckshot for deer hunting would result in an avalanche of negative comments. Apparently hunters are learning that today's best buckshot technology works far better than any would have imagined.

Your comments are welcome.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #60
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Has this discussion changed your views on buckshot?
Not mine... I was 5 years old when I was told of the effectiveness of Buckshot and by 8 I had all the first hand proof I needed... Every thing I have done with Buckshot since has just tempered my opinion further...

Since I am now out of #3 Buck for my 20 gauge guns, they are loaded with slugs... Too bad I was broke when Walmart had their 15 count boxes in stock... I doubt they will re-order more at this point of the deer season here...

Brent
Old December 13, 2012, 10:35 AM   #61
dahermit

The effectiveness of buckshot (in my experience only #4's), is something that I have been aware of for many years now. I concur that if one states that it is an effective method of taking deer, that statement will garner many negative comments...mostly from people who have no experience with that method. I have however, been unaware of the advances in buckshot that you have posted and will likely not buy any of those rounds inasmuch as I stocked-up on my favorite of three-inch twelve gauge number 4 buckshot years ago and will have enough in reserve to preclude spending any money on such, in my limited lifetime. But, the younger guys should do some serious consideration on what has been posted here.

Last edited by dahermit; December 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:50 PM   #62
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Given that there is no single set of laws govering the definition at the Federal and State levels, there can never be a single LEGAL definition.

Given that each manufacturer has the right to designate its product line as it sees fit, there can never be a single commercial definition.

This thread really outlived its usefulness before Thanksgiving, and now it's just slowly circling, and wasting Rich's bandwidth.

Closed.
Closed Thread