The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
kemassey

00 Buckshot 2 3/4" What will the recoil be like?

I just recently acquired an IAC trench gun. I wanted to run some buckshot through it. I didn't pay to much attention and ended up getting magnum buckshot. Actually that was all I could get for buckshot. Is this going to kick the crap out of me? The gun has a 20" barrel. I don't want to kill my shoulder while trying to have fun. Hope someone can help.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Jimmy10mm

It ain't going to be what I would call "fun" but it won't kill you.
Old May 5, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

With good form, doable.

First, though, check and see what the chamber length is and compare it to the shell length. The box should have the info needed for the ammo.

Do NOT just measure the loads. Official shell length is after firing, a 2 3/4" load's about 2.5" until it's fired. Using ammo longer than spec is a bad idea.

As for good form, lean well into the shot and have the butt firmly pulled into the cup just inside the shoulder joint. Use the firing hand to pull the gun in, use the support hand to push out a bit as if you were trying to stretch the gun between your hands.

Try this first with lighter loads, like an oz of birdshot,then the barnburners.

HTH.....
Old May 5, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4
catnphx

Quote:
I didn't pay to much attention and ended up getting magnum buckshot.
Put a folded up towel or something else between the buttstock and your shoulder to help with the recoil because you are in for ride.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:02 PM   #5
mnero

My coach gun has 20" barrels and when I shoot it with 00 buck 2 3/4" shells it kicks like a mule; shoot it from the hip. It is very fun to shoot that way and you can still put the shot on target. Just grip it hard with the left hand, cause it is gonna rise up on you if you don't.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6
trg42wraglefragle

I found them fine in my gun, it had a slight bit more kick but it didn't hurt anymore than usual.
But I can fire 3 boxes of no 2steel and be fine again the next day, ill .feel it in my shoulder but it won't be killing me
Old May 6, 2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Bubba in c.a.

forty years ago I used to think recoil was fun. You will eventually see why low recoil ammo is now so popular.
If your gun is rated for magnums, try it out. Better yet, for break-in just get some birdshot till you get the hang of it.
Either way, hold the butt snuggly into your shoulder and lean SLIGHTLY forward.
Old May 6, 2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Rifleman1776

The weight of the projectile is largely what determines recoil. Size of the shot doesn't matter. One ounce is one ounce.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:52 PM   #9
kemassey

My gun is new and unfired. It doesn't say that it is rated for magnum shells just 2 3/4 inch CYL on the barrel. Should I not fire the magnum shells in this gun? It is an Interstate Arms Model 97 Trench gun. I don't want to damage the gun or myself.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:27 PM   #10
langenc

2 3/4 CYL= 2 3/4" chamber and a CYLINDER choke. Cylinder is for all purposes NO CHOKE. And at 3-5 yds(or less) that is what you want, Id think.