The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1
PAHOGHUNTER

Primer made the difference

I recently purchased a new Savage mod. 11 in 204 Ruger. I loaded new WW bulk brass with 32 gr. Blitzking bullets using H322 powder and standard CCI primers, the results were horrible. I tried IMR 4198 powder no better. I then purchased some HORNADY 32 GR. VMAX bullets and loaded 15 rounds with the new bullets. The group on the left, is with 27.5 grains of H322 & standard CCI small rifle primers, the center group is with 27 grains of H322 and the standard primers. The group on the right is with 27 grains of H 322 and REMINGTON BR promers. I can't believe that bechrest primers could make that much difference.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/rldar/group.jpg
Old March 28, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Shoney

Deleted
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 28, 2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Shoney

Just curious.
1. Remington does not have a BR primer, what number were you using??????
Remington has a 7 1/2, or Small Rifle Magnum. Hodgdon lists the max load for H322 as 27.5 with 205M, Federal Match primers. If you were using standard primers and changed to a magnum or match primer, this change is cetainly normal.

2. What other loads did you try with each primer?
Standard proceedure is to start at min load and work to max load in 0.5 grain increments.

3. My experience shooting new brass shows that most of the time, accuracy comes from brass loaded AFTER the cases are fireformed to the chamber. You said the brass was new, but were the second batch of loads from the once-fired?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 29, 2007, 12:03 AM   #4
dmbassking

Remington does have BR (small rifle benchrest) primers. I bought some on accident once.
Old March 29, 2007, 06:50 AM   #5
PAHOGHUNTER

Remington Bench Rest Primers

Not sure where you got your info on REMINGTON not making BR primers, but the box clearly says REMINGTON 7 1/2 SMALL RIFLE BENCH REST PRIMERS.

Last edited by PAHOGHUNTER; March 29, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old March 29, 2007, 02:23 PM   #6
T-Mac

I went and looked at some....The 7 1/2 primer box does say "Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers".

Pretty amazing improvement and I am not so sure all 100% of it could be attributed to the primers...but ,,,it definitely likes those primers better than the previous ones.

I have seen improvements, not quite that dramatic, on a .270WSM and also on a 6mm Rem when I switched from CCI200 to CCI 250 primers.
Old March 29, 2007, 05:29 PM   #7
cheygriz

And that, my friend, is one of the reasons why I have used Remington primers EXCLUSIVELY for over 25 years.
Old March 29, 2007, 07:46 PM   #8
PAHOGHUNTER

Primers

I feel the same way I find it hard to believe that primers could make that much of a difference. I'm still going to do some further testing.
Old March 29, 2007, 08:32 PM   #9
Ammo Junky

A bench rester I use to talk to said there is no bad primer, their all good, well except cci of course.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old March 30, 2007, 01:24 AM   #10
Shoney

Since I started using SR Mag primers about 45 years ago, but they were CCI. About 30 years ago I got some Rem 7 1/2's, which were called SR Mag. I found loads that My weapons liked with CCI and Federal, since the Rem primers were more expensive and harder to come by in my area.

In researching another primer issue recently I used this site,
http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp
which also lists them as SR Mag. I just checked Remingtons web site and saw that they now list them as Bench Rest.

Sorry, attribute my mistake to O.P.'s Disease.