The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
ormandj

Least expensive source of components for 30-06

Hi,

Looking to make a huge (as large as possible) order of components for 30-06. I'm interested in 150-180gr bullets (depending on the price difference, I'd prefer 180gr, but if 150 is fairly less expensive, I'll go that route.)

I worked out some quotes using midwayusa, and it came down to this:

2000 Winchester power point 180gr - 408.99 - 0.2045/rd
1000 Winchester large rifle primers - 23.42 - 0.0234/rd
(56,000gr, 56gr/rd, 1000 shots) 8 lbs - Hodgdon h4350 powder - 136.99 - 0.1370/rd

Comes out to 0.3649/rd without the cost of brass.

Right now I can buy the Greek ammo from CMP, for ~.25c/rd. This makes reloading (although it will be better quality) more expensive. My goal is for ammunition that is accurate enough to use out to about 300m, for hunting. Obviously FMJ is less than ideal (the Greek stuff), but it'll still get the job done with well placed shots on deer.

So, I'm looking for better sources for reloading components. I reload for .45acp too, and I found a great deal on .45 bullets (Rose distribution/Zero bullets) which makes it very economical. I'm looking for something like this for 30-06. Obviously, powder cost is a larger portion of the rifle loads, but if I could get some cheaper bullets, that would be nice. Any better sources for 4350 would be great, as well.

Thanks!
David
Old October 5, 2008, 08:34 PM   #2
VonFireball

I always check Jeff Bartlett's site for deals on reloading stuff.

According to his site he is a "Supplier of Government Surplus Reloading Components".

http://www.gibrass.com/

He's a good dude, by all accounts.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Sevens

There aren't many guys posting here who like Midway as much as I do, for a dozen different reasons. But with that said (and out of the way), look somewhere else for both your powder and primers. I'd suggest Powder Valley, Inc. Their prices are the best for powder and primers and if there is someone better, I'd like to hear about them. Midway doesn't have rock bottom prices on either of those and they double dip you for shipping and a hazardous fee and I don't think they'll even ship those items together, incurring even more fees. Powder Valley specializes in powder and primers. Midway does not.

I don't think it's fair to compare handloaded or reloaded rifle ammo to surplus greek stuff. It's really two entirely different things. As big a difference in price as you are seeing, compare the price of reloaded .30-06 ammo to even some of the more generic (but decent) factory ammo from the big, well-known and established American ammo companies.

I think there's a middle ground between horrifically expensive factory fodder and cheap old milsurp crap. Milsurp ammo is great for junky old chicom rifles and oddball obsolete military arms. It's not what a hunter takes to the field for deer. (cue some smart aleck poster telling us all that he's killed with a crate of commie ammo that he bought from 'Cheaper than Dirt')

And on the subject of deer-- I like to shoot as much as the next guy and I believe in keeping up with practice to keep skills sharp. But do you really need a thousand or two thousand rounds of .30-06 ammo? It's one thing to shoot 200-500 rounds of .45 ammo on a weekend or if you shoot IDPA or some action pistol sport. But two thousand rounds out of a .30-06 is a lot of shooting and it's going to pile up some costs, no doubt.

You can get a volume discount on the bulk bullets from Midway, but buy the powder and primers elsewhere.

Good luck!
Old October 5, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4
rg1

Here's only one source for bulk rifle bullets or pistol:
http://www.tntreloading.com/
The Remington PSP core-lokt bullet is a good hunting bullet. Click on-line catalog. I'd try to check to make sure they were in stock before on-line ordering from TNT. Good company though. They advertise 150-180 Core-lokt bullets in bulk.
Old October 6, 2008, 12:00 AM   #5
totalloser

Sort of out of the realms you are looking for, but just in case, the price is literally half the cost of anything else I have seen. .08 per projectile 147 grain fmjbt $160 per thou, and powder wise, $95 per 8 pound keg. Blc2 load data. Very high quality ball powder. Seen reference to use win748 data, but it appears to be incorrect. www.patsreloading.com. I just got 6 kegs and a couple thousand projectiles. www.gibrass.com had my brass, but I am rolling .308. The prices are great.