The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
TheRaskalKing

"Why bother carrying a gun?"

This is a good reminder of why we carry. I'm sure most of you who CC have been asked, even harassed at times as I have about doing so. The naysayers will say it's dangerous or creates paranoia or causes you to go looking for a problem. Instances like this one are great examples of why this is such an important right.

This happened outside a grocery store in downtown Salt Lake City today. It's a decent area as well, just down the hill from the University of Utah and nowhere near the rough side of town.

Take a minute and read:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2016...cid=featured-4
Old April 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
spaniel

I took my wife to a Bed Bath & Beyond once to look at a nice kitchen knife for her birthday. She wanted to heft it to see if the handle fit her hand well, and they would not let her; they said they could only give it to her at the service counter after she bought it because she might use it on someone in the store.

When the sales lady was safely out of earshot, I leaned over and asked my wife if she thought it might help them trust our intensions with the knife if I told them I had a handgun under my shirt.
Old April 27, 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
DasGuy

^
"If you want to stab someone, you have to buy before you try"

Gotta love policies that make no sense what-so-ever.
Old April 27, 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
kraigwy

No different when I bought a rifle at Cabalas in Rapid City. The saleman had to carry it to the door (in the box) and hand it to me.

I asked him about it and he said it was Cabalas's policy. I asked him about all the CCWs people in South Dakota carry, He replied, "yeap its a dumb policy ain't it".
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 27, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Deja vu

Wow that is crazy. I guess that is a good enough reason to carry. I hope the victims recover and I am glad the guy with the CCW was there to end the attack.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 27, 2012, 09:33 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The cops ought to arrest and jail all those suspicious people who walk around armed - except me.

Jim
Old April 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Derekc294

Policy and procedure is make contact,identify the parties and run their info to make sure they are not wanted. If you called wouldn't you want the person checked out?
Old April 27, 2012, 11:39 PM   #8
B.N.Real

I would like to note that the concealed carry person drew his weapon and exercised great judgement in causing the crazy person with the knife to get on the ground.

He did not just pull his gun and start shooting.

There's a person using his brain.

Glad to see this person stepped up and helped the victims not get killed.
Old April 28, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Vermonter

Knife Control

I move for imediate registration procedures and a database of every knife owner in the US. In all seriousness I am glad the ccw citizen hade things together
Old April 28, 2012, 08:42 AM   #10
TheNocturnus

If they just made stabbing people illegal this would have never happened.

This is why I carry. Random person goes crazy in random location, always be prepared for whatever happens.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old April 28, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Shotgun693

I'm 61 years old and carry a condom in my billfold. I'll likely never need it but it's there just in case.
Old April 28, 2012, 11:17 AM   #12
wildfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun693 View Post
I'm 61 years old and carry a condom in my billfold. I'll likely never need it but it's there just in case.
Lmao, thats classic. thanks for the saturday laugh.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Old April 28, 2012, 01:13 PM   #13
dajowi

Why carry a gun? Because I can. I also feel that I have a right to protect myself against those who would harm me.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:08 PM   #14
hagar

I'm a fair believer in being nice and polite to everybody I meet (well almost everybody, I really have a distaste for severely obese people, gangbangers, punks & the like), but also be ready, able and willing to kill them if need arise..
Old April 28, 2012, 10:12 PM   #15
barstoolguru

Quote:
they make great balloons for your 62nd BD
Old April 28, 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
KenW.

Why? Because I am a law-abiding American citizen who believes in the U.S. constitution.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Webleymkv

I carry a gun because cops aren't omnipresent and a bodyguard is too expensive.
Old April 29, 2012, 02:15 PM   #18
gvw3

In the state I live in Illinois the ccw would have been arrested on the spot. That is if the cops didn't shoot him. We are the only state left that has no provision for ccw.

Only cops can carry guns here. I guess you need just wait the 15-20 min. it takes them to get there.
Old April 29, 2012, 03:13 PM   #19
9ballbilly

I've answered this question in other threads and am a former LEO. However, the reason I carry is based on a personal experience long before I wore a badge.
On a fishing trip to a local reservoir, just at twilight, a pack of eight feral dogs came out of the brush. They were aggressive towards me to the point that I ended up knee deep in cold water prepared to apply fencing techniques with my fishing rod. All the while I had four perfectly good handguns warm and dry at home. NEVER made that mistake again. If you happen to see me fishing, hiking, camping, or mountain biking in the great outdoors I am armed. No exceptions.
Old April 29, 2012, 03:30 PM   #20
TexasJustice7

Quote:
gvw3: In the state I live in Illinois the ccw would have been arrested on the spot. That is if the cops didn't shoot him. We are the only state left that has no provision for ccw.

Only cops can carry guns here. I guess you need just wait the 15-20 min. it takes them to get there.
Just be glad you live in a wonderful place like that. In fact it wasn't till Eliot Ness and the g-men tracked down all the CCW holders back in the early part of the century, that Chicago eliminated crime.
Unfortunately for us down here in Texas we still have quite a bit of crime.

And I called the police the other day and it took over an hour for a response because one of only two in the area on duty was on a 911 call.

And besides that I am friends with quite a few of the ones in this rural area of Texas.
Old April 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
ClydeFrog

Shotguns, ammunition, BBQ sauce....

In 2004, when I was doing an armed security detail for Hurricane Ivan in NW Florida/Pensacola. I went into a large chain sporting goods store with a co-worker who bought a NIB 12ga pump shotgun & a few boxes of ammunition.
We were both wearing concealed weapons & had all the licenses required.
The young sales clerk refused to let my security co-worker take the shotgun out of the box & he carried it out of the store. When we asked why they were so strict, he said it was company policy.

CF
PS: I don't know why Hagar has a problem with obese people. Unless he's covered in BBQ sauce or milk chocolate, he should be okay.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #22
TexasJustice7

Quote:
ClydeFrog: PS: I don't know why Hagar has a problem with obese people. Unless he's covered in BBQ sauce or milk chocolate, he should be okay.
That is not an uncommon trait. It takes all kinds. Some don't like someone because of their race, or because they wear an afro, or because they are obese. If the obese guy is carrying a gun and knows how to use it, it might not be wise to attack him. Oh forgot, some people dont like ball headed people either, some don't like rich guys, yankees, texans, motorcycle guys etc. I figure no matter who you encounter out there, there is always a chance the guy might be carrying and it would not be wise to do anything other than keep your likes or dislikes to yourself.