The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1
Jtboxer

Need help with frame Finish!

Bought a colt 1911 officers model Iv series 80. The Finnish is stainless . I didn't know much about the gun because I'm fairly new to the gun world. I thought it was sweet looking. It's my first gun but anyway long story short I completely disasembled it becuase I want to replace all springs and clean every nook n crany and lube everthing. My problem is the frame, it has several scratches that I would Like to get rid of and several rust spots that are visible when you remove the grips. How do I go by removing all of this off the frame without damaging the Finish? I know I can take it to a gunsmith but besides saving money by doing it myself I would like to also gain experience and be more hands on when it comes to my firearm..thanks and feel free to dumb it down a bit becuase like I said I'm fairly new to this hobby .

Last edited by Jtboxer; April 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old April 19, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2
mete

"Finnish " ?? It's from Finland ?
Does the gun have a nickel finish [plating] or is it made of stainlaess steel ? Nickel plating may chip or peel and the steel underneath made rust .Stainless steel rarely rusts.
Replacing the springs is probably not necessary.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

Remove the surface rust beneath the grips with a green scotch pad and some gun oil. If the scratches on the frame are deep enough to distract they're most likely also deep enough to make polishing impossible. A stainless finish is easy messed up, you're more likely to damage the finish beyond repair than improving the looks by getting the scratches out.
And I agree on the springs, leave them alone until you shot the gun for a couple hundred rounds. If there are functional issues after that you can look into getting different springs, but they are not a routine maintenance item.
Old April 19, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Jtboxer

Thanks guys.. The scratches are not really that deep but there's enough to annoy me.. I forgot to mention that I bought the gun used and it's prob close to 20 years old so that's why I want to replace the springs. It's a sharp looking gun, I just want it to look better.. I'll post a pic later on when I get out of work
Old April 19, 2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Until we know what finish is on the gun, please don't use Scotchbrite pads on it! They will remove bluing and plating. They are fine for stainless guns.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Jtboxer

Thanks Bill! It is a stainless steal finish bud. Hey you have some cool looking knives sir!

Last edited by Jtboxer; April 19, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old April 22, 2011, 01:08 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Remove rust, re-coat...

If the rust or wear is minor, you should be able to clear it up with some Flitz or maybe some Mother's Mag Wheel polish.
For small nicks & scuffs you may want to try some auto body type sandpaper; 800-1000-1200 grade.

For long term service or protection, I'd suggest having the frame re-plated or coated by a respected firm like Robar, APW Cogan, Black T or maybe Bearcoat.com .
See www.Robarguns.com www.Bearcoat.com www.APWcogan.com www.Black-T.com .

Clyde