The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
TSR80

Bikers

I'm sure there are some bikers on this forum and I'd rather not get into a discussion about what a biker is or isn't ( and I know some of you would love to tell us! ) so I'll just refer to anyone owning a motorcycle as a biker.

So, I'm sure at least some of you have experienced this. You come out from the grocery store, hardware store, or wherever you may be and see that someone has decided to have a seat on your bike. I have never "caught" anyone in the act of doing this but I have noticed little things on my bike before that tells me someone has been sitting on it, rocking it back and forth to a degree, etc.

So, lets say you come out of a store and see three men hovering around your bike in the lot, one of them is sitting on it. The men don't yet see you and chances are they are harmless, even though what they are doing is extremely rude and obnoxious. The potential for them to react badly to being caught is there and you don't know their intentions, good or bad.

You can wait a few seconds to see if they depart.

Confront them from behind (they don't see you coming).

Confront them from in front (they definitely see you coming, giving them a chance to scram as they could be embarrassed or become aggressive).

Call the police without being seen.

This was the exact situation a colleague of mine was in last week. He ended up lingering around the store front and calling the police as the men didn't leave after a minute or so. The HP somehow responded almost instantly as they had a car in the lot within minutes. The HP gave the guys a real ass chewing and sent them on their way. My friend never approached the men or was seen by the men, even after the HP arrived.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:47 AM   #2
rattletrap1970

No offense. But a real biker ain't gonna answer that question.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #3
TSR80

Quote:
...a real biker ain't gonna answer that question.
This is the kind of nonsense I was hoping to avoid with my introductory paragraph.

I'm not sure what Cool Hand Luke was hoping to add to this thread.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
rattletrap1970

No nonsense. I'm not telling you what one is or isn't, I'm telling you you won't get an answer. No offense and no BS. Just because you don't like the answer does not make it any less valid. An referring to anyone owning a bike as a biker, you would be incorrect. And if you argue the fact you are naive.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
hoytinak

I'd confront them from in front. I've walk out of places and had a couple people around my bike looking at it but never sitting on it. I've always just walked up and asked if I could help them. Everytime, all they did was compliment on the bike and it's started some good conversation. From my experience, most "bikers" are good people just like most shooters.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6
rattletrap1970

That is, of course, the preferred outcome. People looking, admiring, etc. No problems. More often than not there are compliments and conversation.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, I can see where this could become a train wreck really fast. I've already deleted one post and a response, (a few folks really need to re-read the rules), and a couple more are borderline.

Keep this civil and on topic, or it gets shut down... at the least.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 19, 2010, 12:13 PM   #8
TSR80

Quote:
No nonsense. I'm not telling you what one is or isn't, I'm telling you you won't get an answer. No offense and no BS. Just because you don't like the answer does not make it any less valid. An referring to anyone owning a bike as a biker, you would be incorrect. And if you argue the fact you are naive.
Quote:
Brandy, sorry, but that is far less than an opinion and far more ignorant stereotyping. Not all bikers are like that or behave like that. You will find you are talking far more about the weekend warriors that "think" they are bikers. No wearing helmets is a choice. Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you eat exactly what you should and drive with your hands at 10 and 2? No? Then you are stupid also. You should probably make more of an attempt to get to know people before denigrating them.
Listen, you're intentionally trolling this thread. If you can't understand the need for an umbrella term for biker, as it pertains to this thread, then I can live with that. That said, find another thread. You're intentionally trying to take this one in a non-firearm related direction seemingly for your own afternoon amusement. Find another thread. Thanks.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:14 PM   #9
rattletrap1970

If you are directing your angst toward me, you should probably back off. I am not trolling anything. You asked a question, I gave you an answer. Again, sorry if you don't like it.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Never mind; this was a flame fest from the beginning.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread