The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1
splatman

Cold Weld

I am not sure if I got the term correct
(cold weld) meaning that over time a
seated bullet has a tendency to lock
up tight in the neck. Some competition
shooters will only fully seat their bullets
the day before a match. Does anyone
know if there is a commercial
product available to coat bullets to
avoid "cold weld"

splatman
Old February 2, 2014, 05:14 PM   #2
g.willikers

Never heard of or experienced this.
Maybe for some really ancient ammo, or ammo that has suffered severe corrosion, but otherwise, it sounds like an urban myth.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Kansas Jack

i think the term your looking for is called ( galling) apply a light weight lube oil such as clock oil to a rag and wipe down the bullets. clean the barrel thoroughly after shooting to prevent fouling the next time you shoot it.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Jeff2131

Ive never heard of this but i would make the assumption that if reloaded ammo is properly stored, this would not be an issue. "Cold weld" would only take place if oxidation is allowed to occur. If someone was planning on storing ammo long enough that oxidation would be a considerable factor, id recommend sealing and storing using nitrogen.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:01 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

See Hatchers Notebook pages 338 to 343. He explains the "cold weld" or soldering of bullets to case necks.

This was with new NM case's and tin plated bullets.
Old February 3, 2014, 01:09 PM   #6
thekyrifleman

RCBS mentions this phenomena in directions for their bullet puller. Not as "cold weld", but how the bullet and case develop a "bond" after sitting for extended times. They recommend putting the cartridge in a seating die and seating a little deeper to break this apparent bond. Eases the extraction. Then remove bullet from the case per instructions. Tried it and works quite well.
Old February 3, 2014, 03:10 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Heard of this happening, but haven't seen any product designed to prevent it.

Age, materials and storage conditions would have the most influence on this whether this would happen.

Best protection would be load ‘em and shoot 'em.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:50 AM   #8
splatman

Thanks for all the responses! Really
appreciate it.
Old February 4, 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Hunter Customs

I think what you are referring to is called Galvanic corrosion.

I did experience this with some old military surplus 45acp ammo.

Most of the rounds fired felt like normal ammo, however some had more recoil which I figured was caused by pressure spikes when breaking the bullet loose from the case.

Anyway after a couple rounds that felt like pressure spikes the ammo was disposed of, never to be used again.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 4, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

The 45 ACP rounds ( military stuff) the bullets were water proofed or sealed with asphalt sealer in the case mouth.

If you check some fired military brass (pistol) you will find a black smear at the case mouth, that's the sealer not powder fouling.
Old February 7, 2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Gbro

thekyrifleman's post;
Quote:
RCBS mentions this phenomena in directions for their bullet puller. Not as "cold weld", but how the bullet and case develop a "bond" after sitting for extended times. They recommend putting the cartridge in a seating die and seating a little deeper to break this apparent bond. Eases the extraction. Then remove bullet from the case per instructions. Tried it and works quite well.
I have experienced a "BOND" so powerful that I pulled bullets apart because i had used RCBS re-size lube and lubed inside the case neck.
These cartridges were about a year old when i fired one that blew the primer and completely separated the case at the web.
After failing in trying to pull the bullets from the rest of that batch i then cracked them loose in the bullet seating die and when i say cracked them i do mean they gave a good sharp crack.
I had thought that i had somehow charged the load(s) wrong and discovered that the bullet lube had turned into a bonding agent.
I have never lubed case necks since.
Old February 7, 2014, 08:08 PM   #12
chiefr

Over 40 years of reloading of over 70 different carts, I have never used any oil based lube and never will. I have seen problems.

Graphite and mica; yes and often.
Cast bullets are another story.