The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 04:29 PM   #51
TailGator

Quote:
The op said that he was trying to decide between the SIG Model 226 and the Glock Model 17; in which case, neither pistol has an external safety lever to contend with.
Brain fart. Thanks for the correction. It has a decocker, right?
Old April 7, 2013, 05:01 PM   #52
dgludwig

The SIG Model 226 does have a decocker. As for brain farts, if they smell like regular farts, there have been more than a few occasions when nobody would want to share the same room with me.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:54 PM   #53
pilpens

Target shooting only: Sig P226 vs Glock 17? ----- Sig P226. Sig SA trigger tend to be better than Glock's DA Safe Action.
I use to not like Glocks because of the grip angle (as opposed to a 1911 grip angle) but its simplicity makes it very attractive especially as a defense pistol
Check for proper trigger reach whichever one you pick.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:20 AM   #54
kozzmo1

Thanks for all your replies! I think I'm going to go with the sig p226 over the glock 17, not 19!! Haha that was a typo. But I plan on asking my dad for it for graduation which isn't for like 2 months. But I will be sure to post a picture of what I get. At this moment it's defiantly the p226 however that could change if I ever get to the store to see how it feels it my hand. I defiantly like the all metal guns though. That's what my dads .22 is. I just like the heaviness of a gun in my hand, metal just has a nice feel to it once again thanks for your replies! Feel free to keep posting and making points on both guns. I read every comment and enjoy people's opinions on the two. Who knows maybe one of you can change my mind!
Old April 8, 2013, 10:08 AM   #55
LED

New Glock 19 Gen 3.
I own both. Accuracy is not an issue unless you do Camp Perry. The Glock is unmatched in simplicity. The trigger pull is consistent, no DA/SA transition.
The SIG Sauer P226 is terrific. Consider the SIG Pro 2022. It costs less than a G19 and is every bit as good. It is the sleeper SIG. The Glocks resell well, so you will spend just a little extra on a new Gen 3. There is little practical difference in recoil vs Gen 4 unless you are a person who gets cured with a placebo (the beefier spring assembly will probably last longer, but the original one is plenty durable and easily replaced). A Gen 3 is about $100 less today.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:24 AM   #56
SmokinSigs357

Don't change your mind. SIG P226 will be the best you ever own.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:44 PM   #57
Tactical Jackalope

"Weapons should be hearty, not decorative." - Miamoto Musashi
Old April 8, 2013, 03:48 PM   #58
745SW

The Sig 226 is a very nice pistol and it’s more aesthetically pleasing than a Glock. A friend had a 226 and I had a 220, both German. We both transitioned away from Sig to Glock’s at different times and for different reasons.

Glock’s generally will have a slimmer grip than a comparable capacity Sig.

IMO a heavy use range gun should be either all steel or polymer not alloy. The Santa Anita range, no longer in business, made their bread and butter on the rental G17’s. The Sig’s spent considerable downtime because of the roll pins of the slide, this could have been related to the labor and/or parts acquisition. Typically the pistols weren’t cleaned unless someone complained.

Glock is known to replace the frame even if was the users fault at moderate cost.

I believe the G17 has the reputation of being exceptionally robust/durable and it’s one of the few pistols that can be exposed to humid environments like a shower/bath room with little worry of rust.

If you want a pistol to showoff the Glock ain’t it.
Old April 8, 2013, 05:50 PM   #59

Then there's the real-world consideration of what the highest trained operators in the world use, like the British SAS and the US Navy SEALs. In both cases it's the P-226 as their PDW. And, anyone that's done extensive shooting with both pistols including from a rest to determine the best accuracy potential from either pistol, is kidding himself and possibly misleading you in the belief that that would be a G17 over a P-226. Low maintenance is not the focus under consideration, but the odds against a P-226 failing on you due to parts wear is about one in a million. Over the years I've tested my best handloads in both platforms and when shooting from a rest where things become a little more finite, the accuracy edge definitely goes to the P-226. Not to mention the stock SA trigger on the P-226 is considerably better than a stock Glock trigger, or the ridiculous sight system used by Glock. IMO, both the XDm and now the Ruger SR9 are better considerations than a Glock. The pistol that probably comes closest to the accuracy potential of the P-226, IMO, would be the CZ 75.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:22 PM   #60
Tactical Jackalope

New gun buyer need help! Glock 19 Vs Sig p226!

Look at my babies playing!

Aren't they cute? They don't mind each other.

Real "operators" 57k. Don't really care which weapon they have, as long as they have a weapon.

Elite forces are given all kinds of different sidearms. Does that mean its the end all topic to a gun forum on what someone wants to pick? That's like saying Bruce Willis used this gun in "Die Hard" so that's why you should get it. it's a little sophomoric. That spitting contest can go both ways and always does until the thread is closed down.

People get way too passionate about their tools.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; April 8, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Elite forces are given all kinds of different sidearms. Does that mean its the end all topic to a gun forum on what someone wants to pick? That's like saying Bruce Willis used this gun in "Die Hard" so that's why you should get it. it's a little sophomoric. That spitting contest can go both ways and always does until the thread is closed down.

People get way too passionate about their tools.
I can't speak for the SAS, but in regard to the SEALs, the P-226 was chosen by Rank-and-File SEALs as their PDW in testing them in comparison to the Beretta's the Army selected as the M9. The other
Quote:
all kinds of different sidearms
given to SEALs are for specific purposes like the H&K Mk 23 that can be silenced for the purpose of eliminating sentries and now has been superceded by a smaller version in .45 ACP based on the H&K 45.

The OP stated that he's going with the P-226, but it seems that the Glock fanboys still feel the need to enlighten him, so who's being over-passionate about their tools? You have both pistols where I gave up on Glocks years ago for reasons I'll list again for you if you'd like, so do you really want to try to convince the OP that your G17 is more accurate than your P-226? After all, that's what he's really asking and I've shot both using my best handloads that were a good bit more accurate than factory ammo.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:01 PM   #62
Tactical Jackalope

I feel so enlightened. I am forever grateful.

Lol. Seriously. Water under the bridge. Thanks though.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #63
TunnelRat

Le sigh. Boys and their toys.

To the OP. Enjoy the P226! It's a great pistol that should give you years of service. If you decide to pick up a Glock 17 down the line I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #64

Your welcome! Maybe water under the bridge, but you were incorrect about SEALs just using what's handed to them and your little movie analogy. Not only did they select it for themselves, they continue to carry it today as their Personal Defense Weapon.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:25 PM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Le sigh. Boys and their toys.

To the OP. Enjoy the P226! It's a great pistol that should give you years of service. If you decide to pick up a Glock 17 down the line I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
Can we explain to the OP that he needs to post pics as soon as he gets a new gun. It's part of the unspoken rule around here
Old April 8, 2013, 07:26 PM   #66
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
Look at my babies playing! . . . .
I thought for sure that if those two got much closer, you'd have a new LCP to care for.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #67
TunnelRat

No kidding, pictures make threads like these. Always fun to share in the excitement.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 8, 2013, 07:31 PM   #68
rodfac

I currently own both the P226 (the Mk25 version) and two Glocks...a G19 and a G23.

Sig...good solid pistol, tough as nails, a better trigger out of the box than either Glock; reliable, zero malfunctions so far in 1200 rounds of practice. It's bulky through the mid-section, more so than the Glocks. Expensive...extra magazines are going for $50 on Gunbroker. It's well made, customer service is superb (from my actual experience with another Sig.) Is it worth the money...at $350 more, I'd say no. Accurate, see the pic below..that's a lot of shots in an inch and quarter at 25 yds. Neither Glock will do that.

Glock...absolutely reliable...my wife's G19 now has 2000 rounds though it without a hiccup. It's FUGLY, blocky, the grips are a bit on the long side for most hands and it needs better sights for defensive night work. Did I mention reliable...with 50+ years of pistol experience in and out of the military, if I was given the choice of any pistol to trust that it would go bang and hit a playing card at 7 yds, right out of the box with no cleaning, tinkering, nada...it would be a Glock..and I hate to admit it....

If you're looking for a target gun, range gun, tote it around the back woods gun and have the bucks, the Sig has a lot of quality built in..and it's resale value will stay right up there. I really like my P226 Mk25, but it would be a chore to CCW with it with my usual OWB carry position. And one other thing about the Sig...the DA/SA trigger system is very difficult to learn for double taps or controlled pairs in defensive shooting, especially so if you have a lot of experience with 1911's as I do. The first round tends to go out to the left and the 2nd pops before you're ready for it. Conversely, I had no trouble with the Glock's DA trigger function.

If you need a carry piece..the G17 is too big, I'd opt for a G19 or better yet a G23, then buy a 9mm barrel from Lone Wolf so you can shoot .40's or 9mm's. You don't hear much about the trigger on the Glock at least nothing that's good. But after 45 yrs of 1911 shooting, I did very well with mine in a 4-day defensive pistolcraft course...took Distinguished and won the steel challenger event as well with a G17 that I'd never shot before. With a single trigger feel, I found it not at all hard to learn. That Sig of mine is giving me fits in that regard with it's DA/SA trigger.

Overall I like the Sig better (for it's quality, service rep), but the Glock is a better defensive gun in my opinion. My brother in law, an instructor at the US federal law enforcement school in Brunswick, GA, agrees. He instructed on both, loved the beautiful workmanship on the Sig, the obvious quality of it, but the Glock was easier to get multiple hits with and kept going when all else fell short.

Best Regards, Rod...That's my Sig 226 Mk25 in the pic below. The Glocks are just too ugly to take pictures of...'fraid for the camera....

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:35 PM   #69
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I thought for sure that if those two got much closer, you'd have a new LCP to care for.
LMAO. I'm not too fond of LCP's either lol.

I'd imagine a striker fired SIG with the bore axis of a Glock and plastic sights. Weird little creature huh?

Anybody have photoshop?
Old April 8, 2013, 07:41 PM   #70
Spats McGee
Staff

Oh, I have nothing against LCPs. Never so much as handled one, but as a general rule, I like Ruger products.

It's just that when I read your post and saw those pictures, my first thought was that Swiffer commercial:

♪♪ Who's that lady? Special lady . . .♪♪

Anyway, back to topic. . .

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 9, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old April 9, 2013, 04:56 AM   #71
giaquir

I like Glocks, They're cheap,accurate and extremely
reliable right out of the box.
One can also modify these pistols on the kitchen table
to run like a top of the line 1911. New disconnectors,
spring kits and sights are readily available easy to install
(there aren't many internal parts to a glock)and you
have one nice target shooter.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:36 AM   #72
Buckdown

Shoot em both at a range to compare. Having shot multiple Sigs thats my preference I have never shot the Glock

Tags
glock 19 , need help , new buyer , range shooting , sig sauer p226