The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2009, 03:06 AM   #1
prater

Barrel Swap/Plug Question Mossberg

I have a unique opportunity to pick up a Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun for a GREAT price. But that would mean I won't be able to buy a bird gun this year since I would be over my budget. However I'm considering the possibility that I might be able to obtain a 26/28 inch barrel and magazine plug for this shotgun and have it double as a bird/home defense gun. But I'm unsure of the availability/difficulty of the longer barrel and the act of swapping it and I'm not sure if its possible to plug an 8 shot tube. Here is the gun I'm considering buying, however my price will be much lower than MSRP.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813505796.html

Please help!

Thanks!
Old June 30, 2009, 03:31 AM   #2
xm21

Brownells makes a mag plug for $6.55 that you trim to fit or you could make one yourself.The extra barrel won't be hard to find.You might check on the Mossberg combo sets that come with two barrels it might turn out to be less expensive.
Old June 30, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

if the HD gun is a 5+1 the barrels are plentiful. If it is the 7+1 not much so.
Brent
Old June 30, 2009, 06:22 AM   #4
jmr40

It can be done, but the 8 shot mag tube will make the conversion more difficult and expensive than it would be worth to me. I think it would be better to be on the lookout for a 2nd used shotgun with a longer barrel.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A call to mossberg for a quote on a 5 shot tube and spring will tell you if it is worth it... Not many barrels for the 7+1...
Brent
Old June 30, 2009, 07:25 AM   #6
rantingredneck

^ indeed.

At issue here is that the 8 shot tube and 5 shot tube require different barrel setups. The barrel lug is necessarily set farther down bore on the 8 shot models than the 5.

To my knowledge Mossberg does not make 26 or 28" choked barrels for the 8 shot variant, as they do for the 5 shot.

The good news is you can replace the mag tube with a 5 shot mag tube and then plug it to 2 for bird hunting. As hogdogs has suggested, the price of the mag tube may make this a less attractive option than just buying a 5 shot combo to start with.

Personally I own a 5 shot model. I have three barrels for it. 18.5" LE Accuchoked barrel, 24" smoothbore slugster, and 28" VR Accuchoke. Aside from bird hunting (where it's mostly a loaner gun, I use a semiauto these days for that), I pretty much use the 18.5" choked barrel for everything. Makes a dandy turkey and deer brush gun (buckshot).

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 30, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
mp25ds4

i have a almost new 28" barrel for sale, i fired it once to test the gun, comes with 3 chokes and it is for a 5+1 tube

pm me if interested