The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
thealex

hornady vs dillon

Well. I swallowed the koolaid then had an epiphany. I tried and tried the hornady lnl ap. Just bought a dillon 650. Its almost like hornady isnt even trying. Its too bad really. I still like the lnl bushings and lockrings. A
Old February 16, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
serf 'rett

For the record, could you give details of your experience or list other threads you started concerning your problems.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:26 AM   #3
cryogenic419

Some folks are happy with their Hornady setups, some folks ae happy with their Dillon setups. Every progressive press system has its own little quirks and pros and cons.

What was it about the Hornady that didn't work out for you?
Old February 17, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Nathan

I would love to here the details on this because I have been using my Hornady pretty happily for so long, I can't imagine changing, but it may eventually wear out, or I might call them and they say....it's just too old!
Old February 17, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
thealex

re:

Well, To start I had to adjust the pawls when i first got it. Not a super big deal but i just dropped a fair amount of money on it to have to be adjusting it.
Then i had a problem with the casings hanging up while loading 45acp while sizing/depriming. This forum+my metal lathe taking off .002 or so fixed that. (Before I turned the shellplate hornady sent me another one no charge. It didnt fix it.)
I have the exact opposite problem with longer cases such as 38 special and 44 mag. The retaining spring holds the cases to tight and they flare.I use hornady and rcbs dies. They both do it.
I know I can put my hand inside the press to line up the casings. What fun.
The slightest amount of powder that shakes out of the cases causes all sorts of fun problems. Primer hangups, indexing issues. Dissasemble/clean/lube/repeat. Yes I use hornady dry lube.(yes I use ALOT of air). At this point I am $700 between 5 shellplates lnl bushings and misc.
Done. Sold

I don't feel I should have to babysit this thing for that kind of money.

Btw 200 rnds through the new 650xl not even a hiccup. A

Last edited by thealex; February 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sold. update
Old February 17, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
rajbcpa

i owned a hornady LNL progressive that would not run. I bought a dillon 550b and never looked back....

the new hornady products have a TON of quality control issues. people with older LNL presses seem to like them, however.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I've read both good and bad about Hornady presses. The Dillon presses have a few quirks that might need to be worked out from time to time. I like the Dillon presses I have and they do what I need them to do. I load a fair amount of pistol ammo with them. A slower press like a turret would probably not get it for me. Not everyone loads enough to get the speed advantage a progressive press gives.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Ole 5 hole group

I have a LnL and I've been very pleased with its performance and I personally know 3 other people with the LnL and they haven't experienced any problems either and we're all happy campers in the reloading room.

Now I do know a guy with a Dillon 650 and he's also happy with his set-up but he paid a little more money then we did but he felt it was worth it to him to have a Big Blue in his room.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:54 AM   #9
USMC EOD

I've got the Dillon 650, and I love it! It has had a few trial and error moments when I first got going, but it is running smooth. In the 2 months or so that I've been loading with it, I've loaded about 1500 .45 Auto. I am about to try some .308 here shortly.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:11 AM   #10
TXGunNut

I'm the proud owner of a very, very early 550 but folks I trust have good things to say about the LNL. If I were going down that road today the LNL and a few others would get a look from me, IIRC correctly they weren't around when I ordered my 550.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.