The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 31, 2013, 02:58 AM   #1
dalegribble

holsters for trail riding

i am thinking of getting a quad for trail riding. i am wondering what would be the best type of holster for carrying a handgun? it doesn't matter, revolver or semi auto, rimfire or centerfire.

obviously whatever gun must have a secure restraining system, snap, latch, flap cover, whatever. i am thinking the type of holster and the position i would wear it. since the ride might get bumpy and your attention will be on driving the machine and admiring the countryside you probably won't always be focused on your handgun. i am thinking a strongside holster might be ok but easily forgotten and also a target for trees and bushes. you could probably lose the gun and not know it for awhile. i'm not a big fan of shoulder holsters but one might be a good choice while riding a quad because it would be better protected from branches and brush. you can also more easily see the gun to make sure it's there without taking your hands off the handle bars or your eyes off the trail to check if your gun is still there. another option might be a cross draw type holster. again a cross draw might better protect the gun from grabbing and scratching brush. it is also better in your line of vision to visually check and in that position your body should better be able to feel the gun on you.

so riders, tell me what you think or what you use when you are trail riding?
Old January 31, 2013, 03:17 AM   #2
BarryLee

You could try a chest holster.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...160&parent=672
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

I use either a shoulder or cross draw depending on my mood at the moment. But are excellent. The cross draw can carry my Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel .44 mag. well when it has a scope or red dot sights mounted. The shoulder cannot. Mine are Uncle Mike's. I like the UM because they are nylon and can be easily modified or customized to suit the individual. And they are inexpensive and good in wet weather. The cross draw has a big optional cover flap.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
clogman

If your using a safariland holster setup you can get a adapter to attach to your molle backpack or vest. checkout: http://www.hankssurplus.com/safarila...-kit-6004.html