The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 30, 2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Hardcase

Cimarron Model P won't go bang

The mercury finally hit 40 today and the sun was out, so I went to the range with a variety of toys. All went well until I broke out the .357 Cimarron Model P that I bought about three weeks ago. Nothing but clicks. Taking a close look at it, I can see that the hammer is falling to the first notch, but not all the way to the frame.

This isn't a transfer bar gun, the firing pin is in the hammer. When the gun is at full cock, I can see the primer.

I'm hoping that this is a common and easily fixed problem. I can take the gun back to Cabela's for a gunsmith fix, but their turnaround time is just slightly shorter than the time it would take for hell to freeze over, so I'd rather fix it on my own. I just need a hint on where to look. Help? Please?
Old January 30, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Hardcase

Answered my own question, lickity split. Some kind soul put the cylinder base pin in as far as it would go, which causes it to stick out the back of the frame, blocking the hammer from falling all the way.

You know what that means...another trip to the range!
Old January 30, 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
dalegribble

have you pulled the cylinder out? you probably pushed the cylinder pin in to far. happened to me when i got my first uberti cattleman. pull the pin out slightly till it falls in place and you should be good to go.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
denster

You fell prey to that irritating hammer drop safety the Italians came up with to get by the import laws. I feel sorry for you having to go back to the range and all
Old January 30, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Model-P

I have a Great Western ll on the way, and the first thing I'm going to do is machine off the end of the base pin so it can sit back in the frame where it belongs
Old January 30, 2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Hardcase

Quote:
first thing I'm going to do is machine off the end of the base pin
I like your thinking!
Old January 31, 2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Tanker6

Yep....learned this one the hard way with my daughter's Thunderer. Glad you got if figgered and have another reason to go back to the range!
Old January 31, 2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Model-P

I happen to LOVE the two-position base pin safety, and I never use it.

Before I get a bunch of , let me explain.

Back I-don't-know-when, our beloved government imposed safety requirements that had to be met for imported handguns. Some manufacturers of SAA clones designed transfer bar safeties, plungers on hammers, buttons on the frames, and all kinds of goofy means to effectively satisfy the requirements.

But, and I think they were the pioneers of this, those ingenious Swiss at Hammerli designed the two-position base pin safety, and named it "Swissafe". They patented the idea and installed them on their Virginian revolvers imported by Interarms at the time.

The advantage of the Swissafe system is that one can easily "correct" the base pin configuration once in the States, and the action is still true to the original Colt Model-P. I will never buy a SAA clone with contraptions on the hammer, trigger, frame, or anything else that permanently changes the appearance or function of the gun.

I chose to keep the Swissafe pin in my Virginians to keep them all original. I suppose the system would serve well as a child-resistant safety, but it is entirely impractical for daily use.