The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1
DougO83

How do I

Determine how old my Stevens 20ga. is? I got it from my great-grandpa when I was about 12 and I was curious about the age. Also, does anyone know of a local shop in Austin,TX where I could pick up a new trigger guard for it? Mine broke off.

PeACE
Dougo83

Matt 6:33
Old April 14, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
OLNfan

Stevens shotguns have always been well-made and dependable. Nothing flashy that attracts the collectors with big money, but they'll throw a load of shot just as far and just as straight. I'd hesitate to guess how many have been produced, but it must be several million. In addition to guns bearing the Stevens name, the company also produced many single shot and double barrel shotguns marked with trade names for Montgomery Ward, Sears Roebuck, Western Auto and other retailers. The company was founded in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, in 1865 as J. Stevens and Company. The name was changed to J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company in 1886. In 1915 the production facilities were sold to New England Westinghouse and used to produce military rifles. In 1920, the name and manufacturing plant were purchased by Savage Arms and operated as a semi-independent subsidiary with the name J. Stevens Arms Company. Beginning about 1948 their guns were marked simply Stevens or both Stevens and Savage. The Stevens name was retired in 1991, but re-introduced on updated versions of the old Stevens Favorite rifles in 1999. dates arent spot on give or take a few years.

as for your gun, it will be easier since there are very distict "era's" from name changes to company changes so it shouldnt be too hard but the action, serial number, picture would make things easier. but hopefully that helps a little.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 14, 2009, 12:24 AM   #3
DougO83

addendum

This one is a break-open 20ga, model#9478.

Old April 14, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
TxGun

You'll probably do better going here to look for parts. It's a crap shoot finding older parts at any gun shop.

http://e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=241

Are you sure to have the right model and #? What you have looks more like a serial #.
Old April 14, 2009, 01:27 AM   #5
DougO83

Quote:
Are you sure to have the right model and #? What you have looks more like a serial #.
Yep...Serial is 7 digits