The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 4, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1
valentsgrif

Knight Disc Elite vs. Savage 10ml

Gotta choose, asap, between these two muzzleloaders. I know the Knight is discontinued, but I found a few online. Never heard a bad word about the disc Elite. But maybe the Savage is what I want for the hunt?

Priorities:
1. Accuracy
2. Certainty to go "bang" when its supposed to.
3. User friendly. (Ease of this and that, you know what i mean).
Old November 4, 2008, 08:41 AM   #2
simonkenton

The Knight Disc Elite is a great rifle.
I have a Savage and I love it.

As to your criteria:
1 It is accurate. I got 1 1/2 inch groups right out of the box. Many of the gearheads over on the forum get 3/4 inch groups or better.
2 It always goes bang. I have had it 5 years and have killed 3 deer, never had a misfire
3 It is user friendly, if you stick with factory approved loads. If you just pick up the first box of sabots you see, and whatever powder pleases you, it won't work out too well for you.
If you stick with the proven loads you will be happy.
I shoot one of the classic loads, VihtaVouri N110 and the Hornady 250 SST.
The only thing I dislike about the Savage, it is very sensitive to barrel heat.
At the range, in 70 degree weather, you have to wait fifteen minutes between shots, for the barrel to cool.
On the other hand, it is a beautiful thing, to shoot your deer, and just stick the Savage in the closet. Spend the day cleaning up your deer, and not cleaning your muzzleloader.
I killed an 8 pointer a year ago and I still haven't cleaned the rifle.
Also, more power from the Savage than any other muzzleloader. Of course if you want to shoot reduced loads you can do that, too.
I am cranking out 3,100 foot pounds, a little more than a 30-06.

If you get the Savage, there is a great Savage forum where I got most of my info. These guys are extremely knowledgable, and very friendly to newbies.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
Old November 4, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
valentsgrif

Thanks. I'm buying the Savage.
Old November 4, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
simonkenton

I would say to you, some of the guys have had problems with the 250SST, on shoulder shots on real big deer. The Savage shoots the bullet so fast, that it has, on occasion, blown up on a shoulder shot and the big deer got away.
I made a shoulder shot on a 150 pound buck and the bullet exited, 2 inch exit wound, the deer dropped in his tracks.
So, the gearheads over on the forum are going to the Barnes copper bullets.
Another bullet that performs real well even on the real big deer is the Hornady 300XTP. I am going to switch to it for next season.

Also, I made a lung shot with the 250SST on a big deer last year, 205 pound 8 pointer, massive blood trail, he made 80 yards. I could take any deer on the continent with a lung shot.
Old November 5, 2008, 05:16 PM   #5
valentsgrif

The deer in my neighborhood are typically small 100-125lb. I'm going likely with the 250sst also. Unless I can find a lighter bullet that groups nice. I'm a little recoil sensitive these days.......too many 3" slugs.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:32 PM   #6
simonkenton

Sounds like the deer around here, small.
You will have no trouble with the 250 SST.
On the shoulder shot I made, I took out a shoulder blade, the spine, and the shoulder bone on the far side, and the bullet exited, 2 inch exit wound.
Could not ask for better performance.
So I was surprised when some of the guys had trouble with the slug exploding on shoulder shots on real big deer, but I am convinced that it has happened, the guys on the forum don't bs.

If you want to lay off the recoil, use 40 grains of AA5744, and Winchester primers.
A mild load that will slaughter a deer.