The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 21, 1999, 10:23 AM   #1
TOMBSTONE

Well amazingly the post I made today about this disappeared,so here it goes again.I have made a previous post about restocking my fathers 50 year old Husquarvarner(spelling?) swedish 30-06 bolt action rifle.It was suggested that I would be able to use a stock for a small ring mauser.How due you actually tell if you have a small or a large ring mauser?What is a ring anyway?Does anybody know if the synthetic stocks Choate sells for a mauser 95,96,98 and mark x- if any of these might be suitable for the rifle.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,R.S.
Old March 21, 1999, 10:32 AM   #2
TOMBSTONE

Either I've lost my mind or something odd happened with the forum.I swear the original post I made had dissapeared and then reappeared,sorry for this additional post.I better up my dose of prozac.hehehe,just kiddin,Thanks,R.S.
Old March 21, 1999, 08:37 PM   #3
Keith Rogan

Small ring Mausers are the model 95 and 96's. That would include all of the Swedish Mausers, no matter the designation and the various 95's and 96's sold to latin America made by Loewe and DWM. The Spanish also made a small ring Mauser under license to DWM.

Probably the simplest way to tell if you're not real familiar with these rifles is that small ring mausers cock on closing like a British SMLE. The large ring mausers (model 98's) cock on opening like most standard sporting rifles you see around.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old March 21, 1999, 11:49 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tombstone, the way to tell which you have is to measure the diameter of the receiver at the chamber end. 1.30" means a small ring; 1.40" is a large ring. I'm not sure but I thin Husqvarna made both. George
Old March 22, 1999, 08:16 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tomstone, I forgot about the stock. Sorry. Contact Choate at 1-800-972-6390 and I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what they carry for your rifle. George
Old March 22, 1999, 09:13 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi Tombstone,

The "ring" everybody is talking about is the receiver ring, the part of the rifle action just behind the barrel. This is the part that the bolt locking lugs lock into, so the larger it is the stronger the action. There is some variation, but "small" rings run about 1.30", "large" rings run about 1.40". This is not the only difference between the 1892/93/94/95 Mausers and the 1898 Mauser, but the former types fall into the small ring category and the latter into the large ring.
Old March 23, 1999, 07:34 PM   #7
TOMBSTONE

Thanks for the help everybody.Later,RS
Old April 10, 1999, 04:05 AM   #8
Paul B.

Back in the mid 60's I had a Husqvarna "Husky" in 30-06. I believe, if memory serves, that it is a large ring model 98 Mauser action. Hope this helps.
Paul B.
Old April 10, 1999, 07:38 PM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

If my memory serves. The distance between the front and rear mounting piller is shorter on the small ring mauser. My experience with the mauser is similar to previously mentioned, 93,94, 95 96 Mausers are small ring. They can be identified by the markings on the receiver being of Swiss origin. Has my memory gone completely, but ins't the 95 Mauser a German small ring?

HJN
Old April 10, 1999, 09:29 PM   #10
zot

I might be wrong but, the large ring mauser
chamber area has metal that sticks out 1/8
inch farther than receiver, small rings are
smooth from chamber back , NO STEP is what
I'm trying to say,and your action may be
longer than 98s, I had a Husky in 300 H&H,
maybe they have mag length and regular.
Old April 30, 1999, 12:53 PM   #11
RacerX

I have a '98 Mauser of Polish manufacture, it's receiver was "scrubbed" of markings in connection with the Spanish Civil War. Later it was partly "sporterized", but it is an odd combination of features. Like the '96 and earlier Mausers, it's a "small ring" action. However, it is absolutely a '98 Mauser in all other respects. It fits into a stock inletted for large-ring actions, but has a slight gap around the front ring. Oddly, it even uses the larger barrel shank diameter of the '98. I'm considering whether to rebarrel it in .308, the smaller receiver ring will not offer as much strength as other designs. What the heck, it's already firing 8mm military ammo, that's got to be high-intensity! Were there other small-ring '98s?