The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
rebs

primers ?

I have read somewhere that a small rifle primer can also be used as a small pistol primer, is this true ?

also wanted to ask if when loading some 38 loads in 357 cases, would you use a standard primer or a magnum primer ?
Old December 31, 2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Bart B.

Rifle primers have harder cups than pistol ones. Many pistols will not fire a rifle primer because of this.

Pistol magnum primers should not be used in .38 Special loads; only full power loads in pistol magnum cases.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Jimro

I reload for a +P rated 38 SPL revolver, so I don't mind using magnum primers. I was reloading for 357 Mag and 38 Spl so it was easier to just keep one type of small pistol primer on hand, and I settled on magnum primers.

I no longer have a 357 Mag, and I just used the last of my SPM primers, so I'm considering seeing how CCI 400's do in 38 Spl loads since I have a brick of those laying around.

Magnum primers are not needed for standard pistol loads, but nor will they cause any problems if you do the load workup to ensure that your load is safe in your firearm.

Jimro
Old December 31, 2012, 01:09 PM   #4
hodaka

I have been using small rifle primers in all of my small primer pistols for the past 7-8 years. On this board I have heard about trouble igniting them but I have not experienced it myself in 8 different pistols and 4 revolvers. I don't have any lightened springs though.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
jag2

This was discussed a lot during the 2008 shortage, learned that a lot of the competitive shooters use small rifle in their 9mm loads. I guess the best clue would be to look at some of your brass, if you are getting a nice deep dimple then they should be okay, but I still wouldn't load up a bunch til trying them out. Bottom line, if done correctly and safely they should work fine. Having an alternative will be nice as it looks like we are going into another shortage cycle so its kind of like shoot what you can get.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
darkroommike

I'm a cautious sort

I would not use loads worked up for .38 special in .357 brass, the case has a larger volume. I'd look instead for .357 "pussycat" loads and use the powder and primer specified.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Xfire68

I have been using SRP in pistol loads for a few years but, I have run into issues lately with FTF. I have tried some SRM primers and had little success with the pistols I have FTF 95% of the time.

If you have issues using SRP's you can use a extra power hammer or striker spring to help with light primer strikes.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
BigTex308

I'd just use small pistol primers. They're the same price and I know they'll work.

Just my .02

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 31, 2012, 02:53 PM   #9
rebs

I was curious if that was true or not. I was thinking about maybe using some srp for spp in case I run out during the shortage.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Jimro

Dimensionally they will work, whether or not they work well in your firearm is a "give it a shot and see" sort of deal.

Jimro
Old December 31, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I have been loading small pistol loads with small rifle primers for 3 years. Over 25 thousand loaded, and fired. .38 special/.357 mag. .45 Auto (a few hundred, shoot them where I know I will not be able to pick them back up.) tons of 9mm. None of my loads are anywhere near the maximum. All were worked up from starting loads.

I started with them due to the fact that they were all I could find, and get. None have failed to fire, in any of the guns I have used them in.

I still use them to keep things simple. I was using them for rifle loads before I started loading for any pistol rounds. Since they worked I just buy more small rifle primers.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
kimbers rule

I didn't see an answer to the mag or standard primer question so I'll say unless you are using very slow powders like h110, 296, IMR4227 or the likes, I recommend std small pistol primers.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:25 PM   #13
dickttx

I just looked on Powder Valley. There are no SRP in stock either.