The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
milanuk

Hornady LnL AP + Dillon Strong Mount?

Anybody here mounted up their LnL AP on a strong mount or something similar to raise it up off the bench to a taller height?

TIA,

Monte
Old December 6, 2008, 01:10 AM   #2
impactco

Not a strong mount, but I did raise my LNL AP this way to give more height off the bench:

Old December 7, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3
JFettig

The AP drops down too low for a strong mount. You could make your own sort of a strong mount.

Jon
Old December 7, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Rembrandt

Once had a Lyman riser (made of wood) that got the press higher, wasn't as sturdy as I wanted.....made a copy from aluminum.

Old December 10, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
milanuk

impactco,

Low tech, but looks like it works! Do you notice that corner flexing at all when you hit the top of a cycle? I do mostly rifle ammo, and I've found that F/L sizing rifle brass usually requires a little extra 'push' with most presses I own... and flexes the heck out of 3/4" ply, etc.

rembrandt,

Beautiful! I like how it's set up and back, and the mounting to t-track. How do you have the T-track secured into the bench top - just screws, or screws/epoxy ? Was the Lyman wood riser just like the metal one, or did it have more in the way of gussets/braces? Seems like if it was built right, it'd be just like a mini (and very ridgid) bench on *top* of the main bench...

Thanks guys!

Monte
Old December 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #6
impactco

No problems with flex on my low tech solution when resizing .223 and 7.62x39. I do occasionally have to re-tighten the bolts holding the block to the bench.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:40 PM   #7
milanuk

Cool. Looks like a good way to test different heights and find out what works best for me.

The Dillon strong mount puts the roller handle of my 550 just below shoulder level,which seems to work pretty well.