The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Polglock

Browning a5 stuck choke.

I have a new to me japan browning a5 light twenty with invector choke tubes. The gun looks and shoots great the barrel is not damaged but I tried pulling the modified out to put in ic and the chokes is stuck pretty tight. Besides heat and a gunsmith are there any recommendations as to remove the choke. Thanks in advance.
Old March 12, 2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

I have a tool I made to fit the notches in the tube and uses an impact tool. Knowing you don't have that I will suggest that you make up a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF and drip a little into the barrel/tube joint for 3 or 4 days. Then warm the barrel with a heat gun till uncomfortably hot, and use a well fitting tube tool held down so that it can't slip. Good chance it will break loose. Whatever you do don't mess up the notches, if you do it's gunsmith time. When you get it out use a good grease on the threads--I use Never-sieze--and don't forget to loosen and retighten the tube at least once a day when using the gun. Good luck. GW
Old March 12, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Bake

I'll go with "Goat" on this one, but (always is ) I would use K1 kerosene (skip the acetone), and I would put this mix in a can and soak the muzzle for a couple of days....