The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2000, 09:22 PM   #1
Boondocker

Hi everyone
I just picked up a nice 1991A1 SS Colt 98% condition 1st 45 cal. I have been reloading and casting for 357 and 9mm for about 5 yrs so I am not to new to this.I am interested in
your opinions on smc and rn moulds and pet loads. I have been using my Lyman dies on my Dillon 550b from my single stage days with no problems and was wondering if the Dillon dies were worth the extra. Love my Dillon.
Thanks Racer
Old January 23, 2000, 08:23 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Hi Racer,

I'm still using my RCBS carbide .45 ACP dies from my single stage days, too.

But I know a couple of guys who have the Dillon dies and they love 'em!

They disassemble for cleaning without requiring readjustment, as you probably know.

I try to keep my dies cleaner than my chambers, if that's possible, and it's a pain in the you-know-what!

With cast, lubed bullets I think the Dillon dies will be fantastic with that partial disassenbly feature.

Although I haven't really tried them yet, I'm gonna get me some. If you get a die set soon, email me and let me know what you think of them.

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow. Focus." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.

Sensop's Corner

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited January 23, 2000).]
Old January 24, 2000, 10:16 PM   #3
Walt Welch

The Lyman mould I used most in .45 ACP was 452488U (was undersized mould, threw bullets at .452"; no longer made in undersized), which is a 200gr. SWC with a single grease groove. The 225 gr. round nose I used was 452374, which approximates the ogive of ball ammo.

Both worked well for me, although I used 20 or 30 times more of the 200 gr. bullets.

Walt