The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
godot

Virtual Training question

In order to do any shooting, I have to go to a range about 2 hours away. Needless to say, I don't shoot as often as I should or would like to.

Are there any PC programs or games that I could use to simulate actual target shooting? I know at one time there was some kind of laser target put out by Daisy but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Something with a plastic pistol shooting at a monitor or TV that is relatively cheap would be perfect.

Oh and when your finished with that I'd like a Valentines Day date with Lucy Lui.
thanks
Old January 18, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Rayndeon

LOL.

Dryfire is probably your best friend here.

Maybe you should look around a little more closely for a closer shooting range. A bare bones shooting range is a lot better than nothing.
Old January 19, 2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Nickel Plated

Try looking into airsoft. You can shoot in your home (it will dent drywall so use something soft as a backstop), and they are relatively quiet so you won't disturb the neighbors.
Also many real guns have an airsoft counterpart (mostly military arms though)
AirsoftRetreat.com is a great community that will have very good info for you.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
TxShooter474

www.lasershot.com

Lasershot has different simulators that are geared for Law Enforcement, Military, and Home use. The base models are fairly reasonable considering what you are getting. Might want to check them out.....
Old January 19, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
godot

thanks guys
I live in a studio bigger then a prison cell, but not by much (great location), so air soft isn't really an option.
The lasershot program looks great, maybe a little more than I need, but I've emailed them for details.
Still looking for more options-like a game boy program that I can pick up on eBAY for $15
Old January 19, 2010, 09:13 PM   #6
romer12

practice

I am in accord with the suggestion of 'dry fire'. put a target on the wall. just aim and 'dry fire'. you can get used to target acquistion (sight picture).
You can learn 'squeezing' the trigger and NOT PULL the trigger. When you PULL the trigger it can pull you off the sight picture..............
Old January 20, 2010, 12:05 AM   #7
rburch

Quote:
thanks guys
I live in a studio bigger then a prison cell, but not by much (great location), so air soft isn't really an option.
The lasershot program looks great, maybe a little more than I need, but I've emailed them for details.
Still looking for more options-like a game boy program that I can pick up on eBAY for $15
Um no gameboy game will teach what you want to learn.

One option is to find an original NES and get duck hunt. I think some company out of china is making new consoles that run the old cartridges.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8
godot

rburch-This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm sure one of my nieces or nephews has a NES that they have no use for and would be happy to sell.

Now what about my Valentine's Day date with Lucy Lui?
Old January 22, 2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Vt.birdhunter

Nintendo Wi offers several shooting games, first person shooters, multiple guns including a shotgun, tommy-gun and pistol configuration. Better than nothing...

You can weigh the various zappers (including the original one from duckhunt) down with lead tape, fishing weights, etc. to get the toy gun to a more realistic weight.

An intense weekend course with a respectable instructor/school might do wonders. At home you can dry fire, practice reload/clearing/drawing drills to build muscle memory.
Old January 22, 2010, 06:53 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Air and CO2 guns are good for shooting fun with little noise and yet with realistic shooting. I have used both in the basement in the winter for years as there is no indoor range in the area.

Jim
Old January 22, 2010, 09:53 PM   #11
steve100

consider a wii playing the training portion of the game ghost squad with the 1911 type gun using a thumb tack as a front site as well as dry firing.