The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2000, 11:49 AM   #1
Cyric13

I just recently got my first 1911 a Charles Daly. The finish on it is good and even but as I got to know my new gun I put a couple of nick and dings in it. So I was looking at my Brownells and saw the finish section. I was thinking about getting the Amer-Lene Parkerizing and then appling the Backing Lacquer. What I want to know is what all do I need to do this and how hard is it? This would be my first refinishing try. Also what are all the parts that I would refinish?

thanks, Cyric13
Old March 3, 2000, 12:39 PM   #2
RickB

Try the Brownells teflon/moly finish. It can be applied over parkerizing too, although I used it right over bare stainless. You just have to strip and degrease the parts, spray the finish on, and bake the parts in the oven. You don't want to paint the barrel or the springs, and I wouldn't paint the sear/hammer contact surfaces. It's reasonably durable, and looks good.
Old March 3, 2000, 11:07 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cyric, I don't have a Charles Daly in the shop right now to look at. If it has an actual blue finish there's no problem however if it has some sort of lacquer finish then that will need to be removed prior to doing anything else. You can bead blast or polish. I'm pretty sure you'll have to do that anyway using Amerlene. I haven't tried it yet. The bake on finishes from Brownells are easy to apply and pretty durable. You just want to make sure, sort of like painting a car, that you don't put it on top of a lacquer finish. George