The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2004, 07:58 PM   #1
DevLcL

Proper Storage

My cousin (owner of numerous shotguns and rifles) died recently from heath complications and his mother gave me all his guns. I don't have any way of locking them up and I know people like to get guns for free. I was wondering if anyone has any cheap solutions to my problem, the alternitive is to buy a locker or safe... which, obviously, isnt cheap. maybe theres some kind of cable lock for multipule guns.. like a bike lock?

thanks,
colin
Old December 26, 2004, 10:27 PM   #2
bubbadx

Most law enforcement agencies will give you a cable lock free of charge. I know in North Carolina you can get them from the Department of Motor Vehicles. You can also purchase them from most any sporting goods stores where firearms are sold. I would strongly recomend buying a good safe though. It may cost you some money but in the long run it would be a good investment.
Old December 27, 2004, 07:46 AM   #3
dfaugh

Two thoughts

My best shooting buddy owns 80+ long guns and 30-40 handguns....So he would need multiple safes to handle them all. What he's done is 2 things: He has 2 closets that he installed heavy deadbolt locks on, and while that won't stop a determined attack, its better than nothing(solid hardwood doors). All the best guns are then stored inside locking gun cases.But then, he's taken a heavy chain/cable type bicycle lock and chained 4 or 5 of the gun cases together...Meaning someone trying to grab a few guns has a very heavy and unweildy package to try and carry. Not ideal, but relatively inexpensive, and resonably secure. Also has an alarm system.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 28, 2004, 03:52 AM   #4
DevLcL

Thanks... Im just mainly worried about friends, family, or basically anyone wouldnt expect. Make it impossible to slip a single gun out the back door or something while im busy in another part of the house. (happened before)

Maybe I just need new acquaintances haha
Old January 4, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
drufus

I used to work at a large gun store in Athens, GA. They have a room- I'm guessing 20' by 40' with poured concrete walls (I don't know how thick) with steel plates boted to the inside walls with a huge steel vault door and some sort of fire system (I think Haylon gas). That was just were they kept the really nice guns. Probably WAY to big and expensive for your needs, but it was pretty cool.
Old January 5, 2005, 08:26 AM   #6
SmokinTom

You can buy a good safe for under $500 if you look around.Check out Dunham Sports,Dick`s and Gander Mountain.See what you can find.
Old January 5, 2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

While not extremely burglar-proof, Wal-Mart sells a steel gun cabinet with a lockable door.
Price is under $100.00??

This will prevent visitors and family from either seeing the guns or from handling them, since they'll be locked inside the cabinet.

This is really just a heavy-duty version of the steel utility cabinets sold for shops and utility rooms, and is not a true gun vault.
Old January 6, 2005, 05:31 PM   #8
sdkidaho

Walmart, ten gun safe, $198.

Handgun safe by GunVault. I have one of these for my pistol - love it.

Stack-On 8 Gun Security Cabinet, $99.

There are -all- kinds of inexpensive safes out there. Don't lock them in a closet, lock them up right. Not only are you protecting them against theft but from someone's child doing something foolish and potentially harming and or killing someone else on accident.