The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Cost of Supplies

Just checking if my supplier's costs are in line. I just paid $110 for an 8# jug of Promo and $28 a bag for reclaimed shot. That is clean and graphited. If I drove another 30 miles round trip, I could have gotten reclaimed shot for $25, but don't know how good theirs is.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

Promo is a little high compared to here, typically more like $95, whereas Calys is about your Promo price. Reclaimed is about $1/pound here

I would say prices are close, and when reloading, you are still going to be cheaper than factory
Old March 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Sounds about right, oneounce, but next time I will probably buy 20 bags and some other supplies so as to make it worth my time to drive an hour more round trip. That place has shot for $25 a 25# bag and is also near a shooting park that is a bit nicer than the local one.

As for the price I was charged for Promo, I was wrong. I paid $104.00, not $110 which was about what it came to with sales tax, but last September I paid $95.50 for the same stuff.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
BigJimP

I don't have access to any reclaimed shot right now ...and new shot ( Northwest ) is $ 40 for a 25lb bag..../ but even at $40 a bag ...1oz reloads in 12ga are still right at $4.50 a box....vs $6 for Rio's, Estate etc retail ...

Price on the Promo powder...is about right .../ but nobody up here is using it that I know of ....but I saw some of it the other day and the price was about the same you paid.
Old March 19, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Thanks, Jim. The same place where I got those supplies is charging $36 for a 25# bag of West Coast; $35 if purchasing 10 or more bags. I believe that Prado wants about $7 for a box of factory stuff, whether it is Rio, Estate, AA, or whatever they have in stock. It may be as high as $7.75. I don't know as I haven't bought any for some time. Gun Clubs go for $5.50 from Bass Pro, which is a pretty good deal if you happen to be near one or when they have free shipping. A buddy told me that Gamiel has free shipping on orders of $30 or more. Got to do my reloading for tomorrow.
Old March 19, 2012, 02:36 PM   #6
BigJimP

West Coast shot is harder than Northwest shot ....so its a better quality ...and at $ 36 a bag...that's a pretty good price...

Prices on retail ammo - by the box ...is heading toward $ 7 a box....I think the Rio's and Estates my club is still selling at $6 a box is old inventory ...so I'm sure the price will be going up on that stuff too..
Old March 19, 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
The same place where I got those supplies is charging $36 for a 25# bag of West Coast; $35 if purchasing 10 or more bags.
I used to use West Coast when I lived out West - I lived about 5 miles from their shot tower. IF I could get it for $35/bag, I'd be buying a ton of it - their magnum shot is some of the hardest and roundest there is - because they do it the old fashioned way - they drop it

I have a guy here selling remade shot - remade with whatever lead he can get, and it always has a dimple, and he wants $33 (Now you know why I like my reclaimed at $25)
Old March 19, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
BigJimP

If I could get re-claimed, I'd shoot it in a 12ga or 20ga ....and shoot the new shot in 28ga and .410... / West Coast is good shot...but I think out here West Coast is close to $ 50 a bag...
Old March 19, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
lamarw

My cost to drive is 15 miles per gallon just for gas alone and does not include any other cost.

I have gotten to the point where shipping is far less than my time, other expenses and local taxes. (local tax rate around 10%) to want to drive to a major town close to 50 miles (one way) away unless I can combine reasons for the trip.

Man, shipping cost are high but so is the price of gas and operating a vehicle. My last set of tires cost me almost a grand.

I guess my point is - you have to pay for the right to enjoy other things in life. I am blessed, and it is not a major concern for me. God knows we have very little to complain about in life.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:56 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

lamarw is right about the cost of travelling and the value of time, which is why I will shedule the longer trip to when my shooting buddy wants to shoot out that way. Then, the trip is worth the costs saved if I buy in quantity For me quantity is ten or twenty bags, not a ton like some of you clays addicts.
Old March 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #11
zippy13

KLaw, my friend, just wait until your wife suggests a road trip. Take her to the desert to see the spring wildflowers and get your supplies on the way. Then you don't have to factor travel into your component costs. There's a place at the gateway to Yosemite that sells bargain bulk components, you wouldn't believe how many times I've been to Yosemite NP.
Old March 19, 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
oneounceload

You talking about J&S in Jackson? They used to deliver to my house in Carson City once a week. Good folks
Old March 19, 2012, 07:24 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Earlier I remembered oneounce mentioning J&S and I am going that way to visit family again in May. Perhaps I will make a detour and give it a visit but probably not as long drives are getting to be difficult. As for Zippy's wildflowers idea, that would work but my wife and daughter would never let me hear the end of it if I stopped off to buy supplies. I think I will just trek out to Redlands for a days shooting and afterwards get some supplies from Wirz in Highland.
Old March 19, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
zippy13

Quote:
You talking about J&S in Jackson?
That's the one.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:58 AM   #15
BigJimP

Yeah, Ok ..... but how much shot can klawman get into ...

... the trunk of lime green 66 Gremlin ...( we know he's frugal ...) ...but I don't think he can get over 40 bags in there..with his wife's luggage../ without dragging the bumper like a clown car...( and 40 bags at $ 35 a bag ---will bring little tears to his eyes...anyway..)...

I don't know ...but just saying ...
Old March 20, 2012, 11:38 AM   #16
oneounceload

well, leaving the wife at home should be good for about 5 bags. Keeping the gas tank no more than 1/4 full at a time should be good for 5-10.

Better yet, renting a Penske truck solves the problem......

Seriously though, those folks in Jackson were always nice to deal with when i lived out West. We had so many "kitchen-table" FFLs in Carson City and the surrounding areas, they just ran their truck up there 1X per week with stuff and delivered it all
Old March 20, 2012, 05:50 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Jim. My Pacer (it's an AMC Pacer and not a Gremlin, have you no class) actually has plenty of room, if it wasn't the pounds of weed hidden under the tarp.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:51 PM   #18
BigJimP

don't make me laugh ....( I'm going to wet my pants..) ....I was wondering, when you'd find my little note... ( and no, I have very little class..) ....or shame for that matter....