The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Ian2005

Duck's.. and the hard part

So the easy part is pullin the trigger, but do most of you process your own? If so, how do you do this? last year I took them somewhere and it was cheap enough, but sure seems like they take a good portion too, I was perhaps interested in process my own but have no clue how to work the plumage, feathers, "stuffin's", etc.

Thanks
Old September 15, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I don't save the feathers, so I slit them up the back and peel them. I then cut off the head and wings and open the body cavity and use the hook on my bird knife to remove the entrails. Clean the cavity and rinse with mild salt water. I prefer stir fry with small pieces and wild rice mix; add some California blend and saute in virgin olive oil. Yummy. CB.
Old September 15, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Trapp

Back when I used to duck hunt.........We would pluck the breast feathers until we got to enough skin to rip it open.

Filet the breasts out of there and discard the rest.

As far as cooking, it was generally soaked in white wine overnight and wrapped in bacon and grilled the next day.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old September 16, 2007, 01:54 PM   #4
tyrajam

I used to try to pluck them out, but now i just breast them. Sometimes I'll skin the whole duck, breast it, and boil the rest for a stew, but the breast is the really good meat.
Old September 16, 2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Ian2005

Well I went teal hunting today and brought home my limit. The guide showed me how to breast em', same as a dove & I did them all in the kitchen sink. I tried to look up not to look down so much initially but by the 4th one I really didn't mind some "stuffins" on me. I think my chest haird just grew another 1/2"

I still use that word "stuffin's" - Im not sure who it was, but quite a while ago there was a thread on funny outdoor stories, and the best was that person who told of "the angry squirrel" - and blasting him and getting stuffins over him - man that was a hoot! I might have have to look that thread up...