The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 13, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
gav1230

Opinions on the Ruger Bearcat?

I'd like to get a plinking .22 for my first handgun and I'm a fan of the single action frame. I've been looking into the bearcat and it looks like a pretty cute little gun. Any of you have one (specifically on of the newer ones) and so far how has it served you?
Old May 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Nanuk

I have one that is "my Wife's", It is a very accurate little gun. Something broke once and it fires out of time. I sent it back to Ruger and the fixed it, sent it back within 2 weeks. All in all a great little gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Too small for me, and my hands aren't especially large. I'm happy with my Single Six.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Chesster

Too small for my hands. I prefer the single 6 combo.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 13, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Billy Shears

^^^ I agree with Chesster.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6

I had one. They are very cute little guns. I don't think you would be making a mistake in buying one.

That being said, I agree with those that said you should buy the Single Six. I have owned three or four of them and currently own two. If you want a single action .22 revolver, this is THE single action .22 revolver to buy. Well.... there are better, but FAR more expensive single action .22s out there.

I am partial to the Bisley style frame but any of them would make you a very happy man, not just when you buy it, but 50 years from now you will still be happy with your decision.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
gav1230

I prefer the traditional look of fixed sights. Does the Single Six with fixed sights usually shoot to point of aim?
Old May 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #8
treg

Neat little guns but I have no desire for a .22 without adjustable sights. I like to hit what I'm aiming at with ammo appropriate for the task at hand.

Bring out a BC with adjustable sights and I'll be first in line.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Revolver1

I've got an old model Bearcat. I keep it for sentiment only. Rugers were crude then also. A slew of better 22 revolvers to buy than a Bearcat.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
weblance

The trigger guard is so small, I have to wedge my finger in. I found the Single Ten to be a much better fit. I now have the Single Ten, and 2 Single Sixes. The Single Ten is my favorite, but the Single Sixes are great, as both are convertibles.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11

My Bearcat did NOT shoot to the point of aim. It shot a few inches low at 25 yards. FWIW: I gave the revolver to a buddy of mine to give to his son. One of the reasons I didn't really mind giving it away was because it didn't shoot to the point of aim.
I had always wanted a Bearcat and was really disappointed that I couldn't have more fun with it. But trying to hold over every target took the fun out of it for me.
I have never owned a fixed sight Single Six, so I can't comment on that.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Singlesix1954

I shoot a single six alot. I do love my Bearcat. I think you should buy one if you like them. They are nice, They shoot good, and they are fun.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old May 14, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
rclark

Quote:
It shot a few inches low at 25 yards.
That's very easy to rectify. Just file the front sight down to bring up to POI. A good problem to have... If shooting high or left or right ... now that takes a different front sight or the barrrel turned or front sight bent.

My wife likes her Bearcat. I've shot it and like it too. Only thing that bothered me was the trigger pull which felt like 10#..... I didn't mind the small grip as the .22 hardly recoils anyway. Nice little gun.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:22 AM   #14

" Just file the front sight down to bring up to POI."

I am aware of that, it could be fixed, however:

One of the things I have learned over the years is that whenever a sentence starts with "That's Easy" or "Just............." or "All you have to do is.........." I know I am in trouble because in my experience, nothing is easy.

I am not the handiest guy in the world with tools. I can do most simple things, but precision metal work is not one of them. And when you are talking about sights, this is precision metal work. If I remember correctly, the front sight was rounded, so I would want to maintain the curve while taking off the metal. Second I would want the sight to be flat on top and the sides to be of equal height. And I know that I could never achieve that to my own satisfaction. A big part of it would be that I would know I filed the front sight, and every time I looked at it, I would be thinking: that isn't quite right. And I know that if I make a mistake, there is no going back: you can't put the metal back. Finally, I would think that you would have to do this at the range: you would file, then shoot, and see where the bullets impacted. And keep doing this until you achieve point of aim/point of impact. So, you have to take the tools to the range, and have a bench to work from. In order to get the front sight flat and all that, you need something to hold the gun like a vice. While this is going on, other people at the range are gawking and offering you their advice...............

No thanks, I will just get rid of the gun.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

I like mine. I use it as the first gun for new shooters at times.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #16
newfrontier45

Great little sixguns! I thought it was too small at first as well. After a few hundred rounds I found my consistency and it is easily as accurate as a Single Six. It shoots to the sights but it is not a big deal at all to file a front sight down to bring the point of impact up.

Quote:
I am not the handiest guy in the world with tools. I can do most simple things, but precision metal work is not one of them. And when you are talking about sights, this is precision metal work. If I remember correctly, the front sight was rounded, so I would want to maintain the curve while taking off the metal. Second I would want the sight to be flat on top and the sides to be of equal height. And I know that I could never achieve that to my own satisfaction. A big part of it would be that I would know I filed the front sight, and every time I looked at it, I would be thinking: that isn't quite right. And I know that if I make a mistake, there is no going back: you can't put the metal back. Finally, I would think that you would have to do this at the range: you would file, then shoot, and see where the bullets impacted. And keep doing this until you achieve point of aim/point of impact. So, you have to take the tools to the range, and have a bench to work from. In order to get the front sight flat and all that, you need something to hold the gun like a vice. While this is going on, other people at the range are gawking and offering you their advice...............
You're way over-thinking this. All you need is a little masking tape to protect the barrel from your file. It needs to be a good, sharp mill-cut Bastard file. Not one of those cheap double cut files. Secondly, I've never heard of anyone filing a front sight down and maintaining the round shape. File it flat. It's scary the first time but not really a big deal. File a little, shoot a little. Who cares what the other guys at the range are doing.

Quote:
Rugers were crude then also.
That's rather odd. Most shooters consider Old Models to be nicer guns than New Models. While Ruger has never produced a functioning work of art, "crude" is not the word I would ever use.

Quote:
A slew of better 22 revolvers to buy than a Bearcat.
Name one of similar size and comparable price.
Old May 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
shafter

Agreed. I love the Single Six!
Old May 15, 2013, 01:09 AM   #18
bamaranger

plinker

Plinking implies a pretty high volume of fire, ie, a lot of rounds down range.

The Bearcat is a neat little revolver and I carry mine routinely during deer season while bowhunting as a signal device and a last ditch SD piece. As such, I really don't shoot it that much. It gets carried a good bit, but shot a good bit less. Running a box of shells through the Bearcat is tedious, it's so dang tiny its hard to load and unload. The sights are diminutive as well and can be very hard to see except in ideal light.

Much better would be a Single 6, real sights and easier to handle all around. Volume of fire is still low, as with all single actions. My boy much preferred a Ruger Std auto to one of my cowboy .22's, you could plain shoot more. Too be honest, on a range trip or dedicated plinking session, I'd pick an auto too
Old May 15, 2013, 04:13 AM   #19
kcub

My old model bearcat shoots dead on right to left but high. I found that using the hyper velocity ammo brings it down very close to point of aim. No problem making cans dance at 25 yards which is all you can ask of a small fixed sight .22.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:53 AM   #20
L_Killkenny

Bearcat vs. Single Six for a plinkin gun.......... SS all the way, not even a close call.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:17 AM   #21
newfrontier45

Quote:
Running a box of shells through the Bearcat is tedious...
Due to the half cock notch action of the Bearcat, it should be much quicker to load and unload than a New Model Single Six. With practice, it shouldn't be a problem to run through a 500rd bulk pack in a couple hours. If it seems tedious, you need more practice.

Quote:
...on a range trip or dedicated plinking session, I'd pick an auto too
Those magazines don't load themselves. How much time do you spend loading magazines?

I've got a plethora of .22 handguns of all types. Ruger MK-series, Browning Buckmarks, Walther P22, 1911's, S&W K-22's and several single actions. They're all fun but the ones that see the most usage are the single actions.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #22
rclark

Quote:
With practice, it shouldn't be a problem to run through a 500rd bulk pack in a couple hours. If it seems tedious, you need more practice.
Absolutely.... But it still bags the question of exactly why the need for 'speed' <scratches head>. I spent a very enjoyable afternoon 'plinking', hip shooting, and bullseye shooting out to 70+ yards yesterday afternoon. In no case did I feel the need to rattle off the rounds 'quickly' or need to load quickly, or unload quickly. Relax and have fun. Between the .45 Colt and the .22 Single Six, I went through around 250 rounds in a couple of hours. Very satisfying.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #23
pilpens

I would go with a SS single-6 or single-10 for the adjustable sights. I agree that the fixed sight single action revolvers look better than those with adj sights but it really sucks when POA is way off POI.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:54 PM   #24
rclark

Quote:
... for the adjustable sights.
I see I didn't address that issue either.... For you first handgun I would definitely bypass the fixed sight Bearcat and go for a adjustable sighted Single Six or Single Ten. Nothing more frustrating than having sight problems because of fixed sights and not knowing really how to deal with it (other than as the poster above ... getting rid of it) . Later you can get a fixed sight revolver and work out the kinks, by filing, or barrel turning, etc.... My two cents.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:22 PM   #25
newfrontier45

Quote:
But it still bags the question of exactly why the need for 'speed' <scratches head>.
Some folks like to take their time, some like to build skill. I'm not just wasting ammo, I'm building skill. I 'want' to be good with a single action. No different from competition shooters building skill with their chosen weapon. I take my single action shooting seriously. You ever seen the pic in Taffin's book where Clint Smith is shooting one Colt while punching out empties one-handed, with the other hand? That's where I'm headed.