The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 8, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Young.Gun.612

Thinking of getting my C&R FFL

I've been looking around online for info, but for the moat part I've been hitting dead ends.

Where do I go for the paperwork to start the process? It really lit a fire under me when i read that I could get Garands from CMP without the shooting requirements with an 03 FFL.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old November 8, 2011, 08:15 PM   #2
dogtown tom

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curi...#license-apply

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 11, 2011, 01:06 AM   #3
oldkim

FFL 03 C&R info

If you want a step by step process.

Here is the best one I know of... it walks you through from applying to getting up on your feet and collecting!

http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=859

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old November 11, 2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Don P

Here is a sight that explains the whole process for getting the license. Most of the companies give discounts when you send them a copy of your FFL-03
www.surplusrifle.com

If you remember anything remember this,
MAKE COPIES OF YOUR C&R FFL LICENSE AND KEEP THE ORIGINAL UNSIGNED
DO NOT SIGN THE ORIGINAL LICENSE

Reason is in order for the license to be valid and accepted it must have an original signature and not a photo copied signature.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:30 PM   #5
gdvan01

Quote:
Thinking of getting my C&R FFL
Don't do it....!

Because it'll start an addiction.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old November 20, 2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think I once thought I knew the answer to this question but, if I ever knew it, I've forgotten. (Old age will do that to you. Take my advice -- party hard and don't get old.) The question:

I do not currently have a C&R license. I have been considering getting one. I already own a couple of mil-surp rifles that are C&R eligible. What, if anything, would I have to do about these firearms if I were to get a C&R license?

It is my understanding that any eligible firearm I might acquire after getting a C&R must be entered into my bound book, whether I purchase the firearm through the C&R or without it. But what about those I already own?
Old November 20, 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

C&R is not as attractive as it appears to be. Way too many idiot sellers who don't know crap about the laws.

One suggestion I have to anyone filling out the application is to have a different mailing address from your premise address.

Spend the money and get an account at a FedEx Kinkos or UPS Store. Use this ast your mailing address. This way you can have stuff shipped to a FedEx Kinkos Store or UPS Store without worrying about some idiot shipping stuff to you w/o an Adult Signature Required and having it sit on your doorsteps. Trust me, this crap happens ALL THE TIME.

Also, keep in mind that as a C&R Holder, you cannot accept handguns from USPS even if it is delivered to your FedEx/UPS Store. Finally, with two addresses on the C&R license, you gotta work with the merchant on shipping. Sometimes folks will only ship to the premise address, although it is legal to ship to both. Oh, BTW, IANAL...
Old November 20, 2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Kentucky-75

Go for the C & R license, just be aware that not all dealers honor it. They are perfectly in their right not to. Yes even here in Kentucky a pro gun state, some dealers here refuse to honor it.
Old November 21, 2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Don P

Quote:
Go for the C & R license, just be aware that not all dealers honor it. They are perfectly in their right not to. Yes even here in Kentucky a pro gun state, some dealers here refuse to honor it.
You are stating that a person that has a C&R wants to purchase a C&R firearm and the dealer is refusing to accept the license for the purchase? If this is the case then its time to take your business elsewhere.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:44 AM   #10
jsmaye

Quote:
It is my understanding that any eligible firearm I might acquire after getting a C&R must be entered into my bound book, whether I purchase the firearm through the C&R or without it. But what about those I already own?
Nope.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Don P

The ones you already own, no.
At a recent meeting with the ATF they stated that if you buy a C&R firearm on a 4473 instead of your C&R license that you do not have to enter it in your bound book. From the ATF's agents lips to my ears.

I was able to attend the above meeting with the help of a friend that is a FFL-01 holder. Informative meeting and the ATF agents were down to earth and NO attitude.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Young.Gun.612

Finally got my license in the mail a couple days ago.

Now I'm looking for a bound book. I printed off a template that I found via google, but I'd like to find something a little more sturdy than loose leaf paper in a three ring binder.

Anyone know of a decent place to get one on the cheap? I'd like to still have money to put the FFL to use. Been eyeballing CZ-82s...
Old April 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
jsmaye

I downloaded the template, dolled it up a little to make it more readable, printed it, inserted the pages into those clear binder inserts and loaded them into a small (thin) binder. Durable enough for me.

Send a signed copy of your C&R to Southern Ohio Guns and Classic Arms (there are more - I just haven't dealt with them) and you can see their "dealer" firearm prices online, receive flyers and catalogs, etc. Sending a copy to Midway and Brownells puts you on their dealer discount list for ammo, shooting supplies, etc.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Don H

Brownells sells a bound book for $3:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...S-RECORD-BOOKS

Other options, if your printer supports it, is to print your template on card stock or use a report cover instead of a 3-ring binder (MUCH easier on the holes than a binder):
http://www.officemax.com/catalog/ima...922760i_02.jpg

Or, as jsmaye suggested, sheet protectors:
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Loading-...5541811&sr=8-1
Old April 27, 2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Young.Gun.612

So do I just mail out copies of the FFL, or is there a special address for each distributor to send it to?
Old April 27, 2012, 04:51 PM   #16
tobnpr

Quote:
So do I just mail out copies of the FFL, or is there a special address for each distributor to send it to?
Most accept fax copies.

Make a bunch of copies of the license when you receive it, and sign them.
If a dealer needs your license with an original, inked signature, mail them one.
Don't do as I did, and sign the original you receive... I still gotta send in $1 and tell them my dog ate it.

Some companies, such as Midway, offer dealer discounts with your FFL. Sometimes that can save you $$, though Midway's pricing of late is getting way out of line.

If you reload, Graf's will give you a dealer account as well, and their pricing is pretty tough to beat. Gotta meet a mimimum annual $$ amount to keep the discounts, though.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:13 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Most dealers well accept a .jpg copy of the C&R through e-mail. Any C&R's owned prior to obtaining your C&R do not need to be entered in the bound book, only when you sell them, do you enter them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
At a recent meeting with the ATF they stated that if you buy a C&R firearm on a 4473 instead of your C&R license that you do not have to enter it in your bound book. From the ATF's agents lips to my ears.
I would want a official ATF letter address to my name before I did that. Keeping the bound book up to date only takes minutes.

Why would you buy a C&R on a 4473 and do a back ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky-75
They sure would not get any business from me. What is the purpose, to get a few extra bucks for charging for a back ground check?

Quote:
Some companies, such as Midway, offer dealer discounts with your FFL. Sometimes that can save you $$, though Midway's pricing of late is getting way out of line.
+1

I've found better prices on Amazon than my dealers account at Midway. It used to be Midway was lower than Brownells, but now Brownells is cheaper on most dealer prices.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
gandog56

Quote:
One suggestion I have to anyone filling out the application is to have a different mailing address from your premise address.
Not smart, SAMCO refused to ship a gun to me because the feds got my address wrong by one digit. They want to mail it to the address as shown, so it better not be any fictitious address.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Mail the copies, or FAX them if the distributor accepts them. tell them you want on their mailing list, and give them an email address for emailed fliers. Also send a copy to Midway, Graf & Sons, Brownells, etc because they will give you a dealer discount on their items as well.
Then get a bigger safe, and watch your bank account dwindle. Just part of the game!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!