The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old August 1, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1
tyson90

Looking for a decent scope for distance.

Looking for a somewhat decent scope for distance/target shooting for my savage 308. I have a good amount of land to shoot on 4-500yards. I'm looking for a scope with a good zoom.EX(8-22x44 or whatever ), somewhat decent quality for around $100-$150. Any suggestions on a make/model. Thanks

Last edited by tyson90; August 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old August 1, 2014, 11:38 PM   #2
arizona98tj

What is your idea of "high zoom"? Does that budget also include mounting rings and bases?
Old August 4, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Huffmanite

In your price range and power you want, might want to consider a BSA Majestic DX Hunter 6-24x44. Own several of them. Has a side parallax adjustment, glass is decent and the turret adjustments are decent too. Mine are on anything from a .223 to a .30-06. Lots of rounds fired with them mounted on my rifles over the last 2-3 years. Not a problem with any of my BSA Majestic DXs. I don't hunt, just a retired gent that shoots paper about 3 days a week at range I'm a member. Hardly a time I go to range, I do not have a BSA Majestic DX scoped rifle with me.

P.S. will probably be bad comments about a BSA scope. Own maybe 11 BSA scopes of various types. Yet to have one lose zero. Yea, some have quirky feeling turret adustments, but they work and optics are decent. Also, I've never bought a BSA scope from some mass merchandiser that's in a bubble pack....those I'd avoid. LOL, yea BSA has low end scopes that suck.

Might want to preruse the optics section of www.natchezss.com.
Old August 5, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4
DennisCA

"I have a good amount of land to shoot on 4-500yards."

There are several (some have all ready been mentioned) that would fit that.

The bigger question can you shoot (accurately) at that distance?
You need to practice a lot at that distance. Not trying to preach at you but just offering some friendly advise.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:04 PM   #5
C7AR15

Rule of thumb

When buying a scope for your rifle, it is a good practice to spend the same amount on the scope as you did on the rifle.
Personally, I would not spend less than $300 on a Bushnell, Vortex or Nikon.

Try to buy the best equipment you can - even if it hurts!!! Like save up for it for 3/4 months.
You will regret a cheap scope - especially when it does not adjust for wind age or vertical adjustments. Also the sight picture goes milky at highest magnification.
Just MHO
Old August 8, 2014, 09:08 AM   #6
hvymax

I don't care for the new Bushnell's. Nikon and Vortex have some nice choices. You can get lucky with budget options. Check Opticsplanet. I have a FM 10-40x on my 30-06 budget EBR that works amazingly. AIM has a few similar well featured scopes.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:09 AM   #7
tyson90

To DennisCA , I don't have a lot of experience with long distance shooting, but I'm practicing on my 4-500 yards. I'm not shooting any animals this is strictly target shooting. Ive done 2 tours in the mid east so I know how to shoot. I'll practice(long range), but I don't need anyone questioning my shooting abilities.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Bart B.

Quote:
When buying a scope for your rifle, it is a good practice to spend the same amount on the scope as you did on the rifle.
Then all those folks using Weaver T models costing a few hundred bucks winning rifle matches and setting records in both high power and benchrest disciplines are doing it all wrong. Right?

Never heard of such a thing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

One thread per topic, please.
Closed Thread