The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 21, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Chainsawjames

New to hunting

Hey. Have a few questions regarding rifles to be used on whitetail in The mountains of NH. I want a bolt action, Iron sights, wood stock in either 308 or 270. I was thinking a remington 700 bdl with a small adjustable power scope. Am I on the right track here or what? Thanks. - Jimi
Old November 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
PawPaw

Yeah, pretty much, although the rifle itself isn't nearly as important as some people might think. As long as it's reasonably accurate in a suitable caliber, you'll be fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Rem 700 in .308 or .270. That rifle has been killing deer for generations.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 21, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Chainsawjames

Would that scope power range be sufficient for the woods? I don't think I would be taking shots over 100 yards. I live in the mountains and will be hunting in the woods 99% of the time.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
JimDandy

Yep, the Remington 700 BDL is an iconic staple, much like the 1911, The Remington 870 Wingmaster, the Colt Single Action Army, the Winchester Model 94...

If a store is putting together a catalog picture of something in the timeline of one of those weapons, chances are, that weapon will make an appearance... i.e.the perfect pair of pants for cowboy action shooting will probably have a Colt SAA in the holster in the picture... a rifle scope ad will probably have the scope mounted on the BDL.

The list will change some here and there depending on the target age demographic.. for example younger shooters being sold to will probably see a Browning Maxus or Remington 11-87 in camo...

As for taking deer, check your local regulations. Magazine capacity, minimum caliber are both things that can and often are legistlated. Not that you probably have to worry with the BDL in .270 or bigger. I have yet to hear of any state that didn't allow 3+1, or .243+ in deer hunting. But then, its your keister in the slammer if we give you bad advice, not ours. So check to be sure
Old November 21, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
JimDandy

2x7 would probably be fine scope wise. 3x9 would probably be easier to find, and possibly even cheaper, as it's one of the most common configurations out there. I'd get a Leupold(ish) tube... something equivalent to their VX-1 or VX-2 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 and keep it at 6 or less.

Additionally, you said you wanted Bolt-Action. Nothing wrong with that, but keep in mind what you sound like you're describing is the meat and potatoes of a Lever Action. Lots of folks refer to those as brush guns.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Chainsawjames

I really wanted a classic bolt action but would consider a lever gun. I have to go to the gunshop this weekend and look. As for scopes, I have heard Leopold is the way to go. So 3x would be a good minimum power? I shoot handguns mostly so I don't know much about scopes.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:28 PM   #7
JimDandy

3X would be ok. 2X would probably also be OK to better depending on your eyesight. The best advice on scopes is the big box stores.. Cabelas especially will usually have a display island or two with fake "guns" that have scopes mounted on them... and which point you can pick out a stuffed polar bear, montain sheep, or whever way up on the wall on the other side of the store.

Edit: Other places like Sportco will usually have a block of wood with rubber rings they can temporarily stick any scope you want into so you can sight with it.

Further Edit: Yes, Leupold is pretty much the Kleenex of scopes. When people think scopes, they usually think Leupold. They're the worst of the best, or the best of the worst depenging on if you're a glass half-full or half-empty kind of guy. There are tubes out there that are cheaper, and there are tubes out there that are better. There aren't any tubes out there that are better, and cheaper, with a warranty this good. In other words, I think their tubes can see better than I do, so I would't notice a scope with slightly less quality, but for the money difference, I'll take the lifetime warranty all day, every day.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
JimDandy

Adding a new post because I don't want to edit that last one at least a fourth time, and you may be replying at the same time I'm typing...

Your rifle...

There's the Remington 700 BDL, and the Marlin 336W? or 336C? I think that's the 30-30 lever action from Marlin. There's two versions.. one with good wood, and one with cheap wood. I think the 336C is the nice nice nice Marlin 30-30 lever action. the other one is sold at Walmart. It's not a bad rifle, but more than half the beauty of these things is the wood.

Those will both have the vaguely "L" shaped rifle stock called a pistol grip sometimes.

There's also the Winchester (1894 I think?) in 30-30, and The Remington CDL ( I think it's CDL) they'll have the straight stock. Try them both and figure out what you like. They WILL feel different. And markedly so.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:39 PM   #9
mete

The mountains of NH are probably very similar to the Catskill Mtns here. Never had a shot over 100 yds .With a scope a 1x4 is fine .I sometimes us a scope but not for magnification but to find an opening in the brush. Don't ever believe the "Brush Busting cartridges" --ANY bullet can be deflected .I've had 44 mag and 45-70 bullets deflect !!
This years deer was taken at 100 yds with iron sights ,no problem. Of the modern cartridges the 7mm-08 is probably the all round best but many others. Learn how to shoot accurately and fast. Don't assume that buck will stand still for 30 minutes while you get ready !
Old November 21, 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Mobuck

A fixed power in the 2.5 to 4 X range would be fine for your intended use. Back in the old days(1970's) very few people I knew had variable scopes. The most common was a 4X and that's what I started with.
I would suggest that whatever scope you choose, you spend enough practice time shouldering and finding a target in the scope. I've mentored several beginning hunters and found that to be the biggest problem for beginners. I've watched them gawking around, bobbing and weaving their head looking for the center of the scope so they could aim. Mounting a scope too high is a major no-no in my book. Using "either/or" scope rings makes sure that neither open sights or scope works well. Get the scope as low as possible w/o making contact with the rifle. I'd much rather see a low mounted scope that requires removal of the rear sight than "see-thru" rings. I'm not a lever gun fan although I've use one a few times. You can't go wrong with a 700 in .308 or 30/06. I don't name my guns but my kids call my most often used 30/06 "the buck hammer".
Old November 21, 2012, 08:37 PM   #11
jimbob86

At under 100 yards, 30-06 is overkill ..... and most any full size cartridge like that is either going to be in a rifle so heavy it'll wear you out carrying it all day if you are stalking, or so light it'll kick the hell out of you when you practice.

I like a a scout scoped carbine in a mild chambering for brush hunting......
Old November 22, 2012, 03:27 PM   #12
tahoe2

chainsaw

I have several low powered scopes;

1.75-5x24

1.5-6x40

4.75 fixed

and a couple 3x9's, the low powers give up nothing to the 3x9's at reasonable hunting ranges (300 yds and less).

My last deer was taken @ 60 yards, I shoulda used my peep sighted lever gun.
But the 3x9 on 3x was fine, and made him easily identifiable.

Last edited by tahoe2; November 24, 2012 at 03:13 AM.