The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 22, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1
mrstang01

Trade older Vaquero set for newer set?

I bought my Vaqueros when Ruger only offered the larger size. They are .44 Mags. I would love to have a set of the new models, preferably in .44 Special, I don't think I've even loaded a magnum in the chambers. I have a couple of Smiths I would use for hunting if I wanted the power of the Magnum rounds.

Should I try to sell my set and buy the small framed set and eat the difference, or does anyone suppose someone would want the larger framed set?

Michael
Old August 22, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
oldcars

You might be able to find somebody who is really looking for a set of the older ones because Ruger no longer makes a 44mag Vaquero.
Old August 22, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
bobotech

I think Ruger is only making 44spcl in the Blackhawk model. I don't think they make any 44 in the smaller New Vaquero.
Old August 22, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Jim March

Welll...I dunno. A good matched set of 44Mag Old Vaqueros might fetch decent coin. It's a fairly desirable caliber in OldVaqs and some people like the bigger guns and/or want to shoot 44Mag.

I would recommend checking prices on the SASSWire classifieds, Rugerforums, maybe gunbroker and the like, see what they're going for.

The NewVaq isn't yet shipping in 44Spl, although it's a distinct possibility next year. They've taken the same "mid frame" size gun in adjustable sights and created a 44Spl out of that, so building 44Spl NewVaqs would be a snap. Right now it ships in 357 and 45LC.